New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084400 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > User Ratings

Go to latest mesage in thread

User Ratings

eddie85eddie85, posted over a year ago

Just curious to see if anyone else noticed that the feedback ratings are going down. It just seems of late that even if I answer a question, in what I would describe as in a pretty good manner, I get slammed with what I can assume to be a bunch of 1-star reviews.

I've noticed that the top agony aunts have definitely had their ratings take a hit in the past few weeks and to be honest it has been discouraging me from answering questions.

Half the joy of answering questions is seeing your score rise as time goes on. It just seems like someone is manipulating the user ratings or being spiteful for the sake of being spiteful.

Comments?

Posted on 21 May 2012 @ 21:46 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

The RealistThe Realist, posted over a year ago

We have had issues in the past with certain people stalking aunts and rating all of their answers poorly. It has happened to me and it sucks that their isn't much that can be done.

Posted on 22 May 2012 @ 0:12 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I couldn't care less about my rating. There are a lot of unreasonable people out there who will rate you down for no good reason. Who cares?

If the advice you give is designed to get you a good rating, then you will never say anything confrontational or controversial. Your advice will become watered down and safe and your rating will go down because of it. I don't pull any punches and I don't have any regrets.

I don't believe that a high rating means great advice nor do I believe that a low rating means bad advice.

Posted on 22 May 2012 @ 2:55 (London time) - permalink

C. GrantC. Grant, posted over a year ago

It can't be that bad, Eddie, you're still at #2. :)

DC did revamp the ratings system maybe 18 months ago to make it less susceptible to manipulation, and most of us noticed quite a change then. I have to say, though, that I stopped watching my numbers quite a while ago, so I'm not familiar with how much they move from week to week.

Posted on 22 May 2012 @ 18:31 (London time) - permalink

eyeswideopeneyeswideopen, posted over a year ago

If you guys want to feel better, look at mine.

Posted on 23 May 2012 @ 18:11 (London time) - permalink

MyauMyau, posted over a year ago

I dont even know my rating, stopped worrying about it along time ago

Posted on 24 May 2012 @ 8:41 (London time) - permalink

cool-sora789cool-sora789, posted over a year ago

my ratings are mostly poor, i want to know why.

Posted on 29 May 2012 @ 11:35 (London time) - permalink

The way I figure it is you are hitting the truth and that hurts OR you suck. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. Besides it explains my ratings.

Posted on 31 May 2012 @ 19:13 (London time) - permalink

Glacier, posted over a year ago

OMG! I'm glad I found this topic!

I've been active for a few months now.

At first my average rating was above 9 with 'excellent' ratings only.

I figured over time my average would probably drop to a high 8 or something.

Then suddenly in maybe a week time it plunged to 6.6! WTF?!

It's still in decline. I wondered if it was something I said LOL.

This is a serious problem. Please administrator look into this.

Posted on 7 June 2012 @ 18:38 (London time) - permalink

Glacier, posted over a year ago

eddy85, your rating is currently at 8.84.

I assume you don't complain about such a high rating.

Could it be that your rating has been 'corrected' back up?

Posted on 7 June 2012 @ 18:47 (London time) - permalink

grymsoulgrymsoul, posted over a year ago

I never really cared about my rating. Most of the joy in answering a question is helping others and getting a little feedback in the form of the OP replying back to a message to let me know how the situation went.

You hit the nail exactly on the head. I'm mostly about tough love so I knew when my rating drop, it's because I didn't sugar coat my answer and I give it to them raw. That's just the way I am. I expect other aunts not to baby me and answer my questions truthfully as well. Some aunts are WAY TOO concerned with their rating to risk offending the OP poster.

I have no such boundaries. I couldn't care less about the rating system. It doesn't stop me from answering the question with brutal honesty.

Posted on 11 June 2012 @ 10:24 (London time) - permalink

eddie85eddie85, posted over a year ago

I agree with everyone here. I do sort of look at my ratings as a bit of a reward. I only answer select questions (usually those over the age 30) and I do invest a lot of time and effort into my answers.

I do sense there is some manipulation in the ratings here and it is frustrating. Perhaps no one pays attention to the overall ratings when they ask a question, but I've always felt that someone with a higher rating merits more consideration (not that all answers deserve consideration).

Either way, the rating system is a small thank you for the time and effort I do put into the site. And I'll be honest, with the negative poundings I've gotten lately, it has discouraged me.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Posted on 16 June 2012 @ 18:0 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

If your rating drops below some threshold you deem to be poor does all of the advice you ever gave suddenly merit less consideration?

If so, then why did you ever think your advice was worthy of consideration in the first place? If not, then how do you avoid being a hypocrite in thinking that your advice merits more consideration despite your hypothetically poor rating while at the same time thinking that the advice of others with low ratings merits less?

You see, ratings are meaningless.

Posted on 18 June 2012 @ 5:19 (London time) - permalink

AbellaAbella, posted over a year ago

Well I know that Code Warrior and Eddie have definitely received 5 stars from me on more occasions than I can recall.

I am not sure how the ratings work though, and I am unlikely to ever work it out.

My maths teacher used to regularly send me to sit outside for talking in class. That's my excuse for being dodgy with numbers!

Posted on 30 September 2012 @ 12:40 (London time) - permalink

So_Very_ConfusedSo_Very_Confused, posted over a year ago

I try to remember to rate the answers I like high... I tend not to give low ratings... sometimes my rating drops drastically overnight but then I see that certain folks I know disagree with me have been posting answers I assume they are gunning for me with low votes..

not going to change who I am or what I say.

Posted on 1 October 2012 @ 19:1 (London time) - permalink

I advise everyone to apply Dr.GARA to the topic of ratings...

Posted on 1 October 2012 @ 20:1 (London time) - permalink

AbellaAbella, posted over a year ago

hi Eyes, Dr GARA? Is that a topical ointment or a tablet?

Posted on 2 October 2012 @ 16:47 (London time) - permalink

DR GARA = Don't Really Give A Rat's Ass

Posted on 2 October 2012 @ 17:5 (London time) - permalink

CindyCaresCindyCares, posted over a year ago

EWO : DR.GARA ? That's absolutely brilliant!

Speaking of slang , I wonder if any of you guys want to help me out - who knows ,it may be fun.

So: as I guess you know, English is not my primary language, but I'd say I speak it , if not splendidly, quite decently. Only, after I've left the States, I have no more exposure to that myriad of slang, colloquial and "street " expressions that make English such a fun and vibrant language- just like " I don't give a rat's ass", for instance. And inevitably they startedst fading from my memory. You know, stuff like " queer as a three dollar bill " ( OK, that wasn't a PC one ) " being coyote-ugly "," being ready for the glue factory " etc.

Help me refresh my memory- or teach me something new ! - posting your favourite slang or colloquial phrases . The quirkiest, strangest ones win a 5 star rating ( just kidding . We all know that Aunts are incorruptible and would never barter stars ! )

Posted on 2 October 2012 @ 23:27 (London time) - permalink

Tisha-1Tisha-1, posted over a year ago

I love Dr. Gara. He is my go-to physician....

That's one for you, Cindy.... an oldie but a goodie. "He's my 'go-to' guy for ingrown toenails."

"I have a jugular issue with that...." in business speak indicates something that is worrying the speaker.

"Not in my wheelhouse" means it's not a skill I have.

Cindy, you speak English more splendidly than many of our native English speakers. Just sayin'.

EWO, I love love love Dr. Gara. Thank you.

Posted on 3 October 2012 @ 0:22 (London time) - permalink

to be too big for one’s britches – to think too highly of oneself

•britches – pants

•can’t carry a tune in a bucket – to be unable to sing at all

•clod-hopper – large, heavy shoes like those worn by farmers

•colder than a witch’s tit (in a brass bra in January) – the bit in parentheses simply adds some extra color to an already off-color (but quite effective) description of the weather

•(gosh) dang/darn/dern – a cleaner version of a well-known, blasphemous expletive

•dang/darn/dern tootin’ – an expression of agreement, as in, “Louella, you make the finest biscuits this side of the Mississippi.” “Dern tootin’.”

•fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down – if someone is unbelievably unattractive, looking as though they’ve been hit with several ugly sticks, this is the proper way to express that ugliness

•fixin’ to – getting ready/preparing to, as in, “I’m fixin’ to go to the Wal-Mart. Do y’all need anything?”

•get up with – to contact or get together with

•granny-slappin’ good (so good, it makes you want to slap your granny) – very good, usually delicious

•gussied up – cleaned up and dressed very nicely (perhaps formally)

•a hankerin’ for – a desire/craving for

•happy as a puppy with two peckers/peters – very happy

•high cotton – wealthy; successful (and maybe snobby)

•hit with the ugly stick – if someone is quite unattractive, you can say they look like they’ve been hit with the ugly stick

•honky-tonk – a bar, perhaps where country music is played live for folks to dance

•hotter than a goat’s butt in a pepper patch – very hot

•how-do – shortened form of “How do you do?”

•If I had my druthers – if I had my way/my preference

•kin/kinfolk – family, especially extended family

•knee-high to a grasshopper – very young and small, as in, “The last time I saw you, you were knee-high to a grasshopper, and look how grown-up you are now!”

•lick – (noun) any amount at all, usually used in negative sentences such as, “I didn’t get a lick of work done today because my boss kept calling me in for meetings.” (verb) To beat up, as in, “I licked him good that time.”

•like herding cats – anything that is difficult to do, but especially anything that requires organizing difficult people (like small children)

•mash – to press or push, as in, “Mash that green button and turn on the computer.”

•(to) need something like one needs a hole in the head – Obviously you do not need a hole in your head; it’s even bad for you. Thus anything you definitely don’t need, and that might be detrimental to you in some way is described by this phrase.

•ornery – difficult to deal with; stubborn; finicky

•piddly/piddlin’ – a small amount (negative connotation)

•poop or get off the pot – make a decision and take action

•reckon – suppose, guess, as in, “I reckon we’ll see you at the reunion.”

•right – very (often surprisingly); an adverb usually used to modify adjectives, as in, “You wouldn’t know it to look at him, but he’s a right good ball player.”

•rough talk – to speak harshly

•rubber-neck – to drive slowly so as to get a good look at a wreck or disabled vehicle on the side of the road. Those who rubber-neck are rubber-neckers.

•skedaddle – to leave hurriedly

•snug as a bug (in a rug) – very comfortable

•sugar – affection, as in, “Come here and give me some sugar.”

•sweet talk – to speak nicely, usually in order to get something you want

•tater – potato

•(to) think one’s s*** don’t stink – to think too highly of oneself

•tore up – broken/destroyed, as in, “I came home to find the curtains all tore up,” or, “My knee has been tore up since that skiing accident back in ’93.”

Posted on 3 October 2012 @ 14:21 (London time) - permalink

Southern USA has "borrowed" alot of British slang like "reckon" When I heard a member of the Royal Family say "reckon" it really blew my mind as I thought only red-necks said that.

Posted on 3 October 2012 @ 14:24 (London time) - permalink

CindyCaresCindyCares, posted over a year ago

Thank you so much Tisha, and thank you so so SO much EWO, you have sent me a whole dictionary !

I showed off with my son, who is the official slangman of the house , and he was amazed- he asked me if I have been hanging out with Elvis Presley

Posted on 4 October 2012 @ 13:41 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.140631499991287!