New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084400 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > Is someone spell correcting my posts?

Go to latest mesage in thread

Is someone spell correcting my posts?

CarrieMagdeleneCarrieMagdelene, posted over a year ago

I was just wondering why some of my posts end up spelling words differently than I had typed them. Seems a little fishy to me. I'm actually a little uncomfortable with it...lol o.O

Aye, Seaturtles. -Carrie

Posted on 27 January 2007 @ 4:20 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

, posted over a year ago

Hi Carrie, I am a moderator on this site and I do make a lot of spelling corrections to many of the questions and answers that come through. However, I am not sure if I have done it to yours, dear.(there are so many-I simply can't remember) Why does this make you feel so uncomfortable, Carrie?

Posted on 27 January 2007 @ 7:4 (London time) - permalink

DearCupidDearCupid, posted over a year ago

Let me know any examples and I'll look at them.

Posted on 30 January 2007 @ 16:16 (London time) - permalink

vina_101vina_101, posted over a year ago

Sometimes when words are spelt incorrectly the moderators correct it. Or if there's a typo or something. Sorry if it makes you feel uncomfortable. Moderators do try as much as possible only to edit what is neccesary. But if something was perfectly fine and got changed to something else then that's a different story. That doesn't happen very often though, as far as I know.

Posted on 31 January 2007 @ 13:9 (London time) - permalink

stinastina, posted over a year ago

Hi Carrie,

Here's a thread about why some mods spell check posts:

http://www.dearcupid.org/forum/site-feedback/422

Perhaps one of the reasons someone has been editing your posts has been listed by someone.

There are rules that we mods have to follow before allowing something to be approved. And instead of unapproving posts, some of us edit them so that they can be posted instead of "thrown away."

Hope this helps!

Posted on 31 January 2007 @ 13:47 (London time) - permalink

DazzergDazzerg, posted over a year ago

I do correct spelling sometimes, especially if there is alot of mistakes and/or it makes the question unintelligible. I dont think there is anything to be creeped out about, as a rule of thumb giving the writer their own voice is good but sometimes a few tweaks are required.

Posted on 2 February 2007 @ 12:55 (London time) - permalink

I spelled a name wrong and it corrected it...but some of my other words were wrong...which I HAD spelled right, that's all. Kinda did more harm that good in this case. My post wasn't in any way sexual or explicit. Just normal words were typoed by someone not me.

Posted on 2 February 2007 @ 22:18 (London time) - permalink

It makes me uncomfortable, and I don't know why. It's like...I live at home with my parents, and my father has access to everything on my computer. He even showed me how he could look right at what I'm typing right this moment. It's like, big brother is always watching you...I look foreward to getting my money and everything straightened out so I can have my own computer and not have to feel like someone's watching ovey my shoulder.

And another thing that makes me uncomfortable about it is that I always read what I've typed before the post-message button is clicked. I spelled everything but one word I was iffy about right, and I read my post after it was approved, and several of the words were incorrect.

Posted on 2 February 2007 @ 22:22 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

That's understandable that your privacy has always been invaded, but it is the job of the volunteer moderators to try to spell check and straighten out posts/threads. If they are spelled incorrectly by the moderators, then that's exactly it, an incorrection.

There was a discussion about this earlier, and it's not really a big deal. At the very least, I don't see it as a big deal. If it's annoying enough, you can PM Andrew directly, or to any of the moderators, but they're doing their job. So kudos to them.

Posted on 3 February 2007 @ 6:54 (London time) - permalink

WendygWendyg, posted over a year ago

Does seem odd that someone would spell check it incorrectly hun...

What question was it ?

I only ever edit where needs be, and change what needs changing, would be odd to change correctly spelt words to wrong ones as thats making more work! tee hee

The only time I change a post is if its in CAPS and I tend to copy and repaste it in lowercase/sentence case.

Generally you can see if a word is spelt incorrect and can amend it as you go through the post, but to change it wrongly would need to be an error of some kind I feel, as the time us moderators spend on here is precious and sometimes a long time is spent editing questions and answers. We dont want to go making hard work for ourselves.

Im guessing it was a one off and maybe a blip by someone that day.... But in the main we are doing the best job we can to keep all valid questions posted efficiently and timely so that people get the advice they need.

I dont think anybody would change anything on purpose, so perhaps an off day or something.

I wouldnt worry about being spyed on, no one can tell its you posting a question if you dont want them to... all we can see is the final result of the question that is posted, and we give a proof reading and a title...

:o)

Posted on 5 February 2007 @ 16:59 (London time) - permalink

WendygWendyg, posted over a year ago

Also just a thought... But maybe its the English American spellings ? Sometimes English is a different spelling to America for the same word and maybe that had something to do with it ?

Posted on 5 February 2007 @ 17:3 (London time) - permalink

dragonettedragonette, posted over a year ago

A good way for the writer to avoid making spelling errors is to activate the "spell check this field"-option in the Firefox browser.

Posted on 5 February 2007 @ 17:32 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.187449600001855!