New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244988 questions, 1084407 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > I really don't know what next!

Go to latest mesage in thread

I really don't know what next!

DearCupidDearCupid, posted over a year ago

Guys

I must confess I am stuck. Every single feature I've added up to now to the site has been driven by what people have asked for (private mails, forums), or I've added it because I wanted the feature myself (e.g. followups, most viewed, most discussed).

Well, I have a confession to make. I'm out of ideas!

Really totally utterly out of ideas.

I know we've talked about adding an "ask this aunt" link and maybe live chat but none of that seems like a killer feature or a must-have like all the past ones.

If anyone knows the Next Big thing do let me know!!!

A.

Posted on 7 May 2006 @ 14:56 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

lillaumlillaum, posted over a year ago

Hi

Well I really think a live chat thing would be fantastic. It gives people the chance to talk about what is bothering them when its bothering them. I think it would also be good if in the live chat people could chat privatly to an aunt for the more delicate issues. I myself cant think of any thing else really. Maybe you could have a list of sites that you reccomend. I know that alot of people ask questions about particular things where accuracy in the answer is important eg mental illnesses. Maybe a list of helpline numbers too. some people I have seen on here are in abusive relationships and need practicle help as well as advice and comfort. any way thats just what I can think of as I write this.

Lillaum

Posted on 8 May 2006 @ 22:29 (London time) - permalink

bridgetbridget, posted over a year ago

You could have a moderators only

area for moderators..

Jacqueline

Posted on 8 May 2006 @ 22:50 (London time) - permalink

tuxtux, posted over a year ago

and also perhaps seperately named moderator names if they choose to remain in anonymity to their "advice" account if they have to clarify or notify a poster on something like if they wrote something in an answer that should have been in the question instead. and maybe an ask a moderator forum if they want to perhaps know why their question or answer hasn't been approved. This problaly goes well with the seperately named moderator account as well if they wish to keep their anonymousity to the advice account. I think this would be good, that way they don't get their regular accounts clogged with "moderator" mail if people found out who they were.

Posted on 9 May 2006 @ 8:51 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

How about a "Who's Online" page? With a 'instant message' icon beside each name?

Posted on 12 May 2006 @ 23:59 (London time) - permalink

I think that's a cool idea martini - would it then use some instant messenger widgetty thing? That could be the caveat because those things are either a) tricky to code or b) expensive to buy, to use on the site.

I could link it to use the private mail system which may be better than nothing?

A

Posted on 13 May 2006 @ 13:17 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Yeah just use the existing private messaging you have on the site. I think that part will save you a lot of sanity. 8]

Posted on 14 May 2006 @ 0:24 (London time) - permalink

;-)

Martini... I will definitely look into implementing that feature.

My main problem at the moment is recruitment of moderators and I'm working on some technology to assist that first... People are real quick to drop out so I need a constant stream coming onboard to replace them. We do have a hardcore of mods who are here through thick and thin and to them I say "thank-you" !

A

Posted on 14 May 2006 @ 12:4 (London time) - permalink

Instant msging is a great idea. I think the regular mail thing we have is good but it may be in handy if someone has an issue that they actually want to talk to someone about. Though if it would tax the system and slow it down, I would say we could live without it. Don't become like myspace which decides to add so much stuff it slows it down.. not to mention some user pages slows it down.. I cant stand those people who load anything and everything on their page thinking its cool.. and yet forces someone to wait 15 minutes to view it after it downloads everything on a broadband connection no less.. or crashes my browser lol.. anyways..

I dont know how well this would work or if you can get volunteers to do this.. but have you ever seen those Operators are online to chat to you? I have setup one before that was pretty simple to do.. i don't remember the name of it but can possibly look it up if you're interested.. keep in mind i didn't use it much.. but i did get it up and working..

Posted on 15 May 2006 @ 7:51 (London time) - permalink

YosYos, posted over a year ago

I've just become a moderator, so I thought I'd say hi to you all. Hi :)

On the subject of features, user-driven features is the BEST way to generate site features imho. It explains why this current site works so well. Bear in mind that every new feature you add has a negative effect on existing features: they become less usable (because users have more options / links / buttons etc), plus the site performance, stability and maintainability are effected.

Perhaps refining some existing features would be the way to go? Rather than adding new ones. For me the best area for improvements is archive. Right now navigating back and searching older questions is clunky in places. I tend to use google with the site:dearcupid.org limit to search the site to get past this. Less than ideal! If you want some very specific suggestions around the issues and potential improvements to search / browse archive let me know.

Posted on 15 May 2006 @ 18:35 (London time) - permalink

YosYos, posted over a year ago

hmm, that was confusing ... I meant the site search with google that you provide! What could be improved I think is the browsing of the archive and more narrowed searching of eg specific archived topics.

Posted on 15 May 2006 @ 18:37 (London time) - permalink

Hi Yos

Agree with you on "new features"; I'm wary about doing anything to confuse the experience of the user. So I buy into that whole "simplicity" thing.

I would be very interested in your suggestions for improving archive search, but I should say that the current Search functionality is very rarely clicked on, so whatever I put under the hood is not a much-used part of the site -- hence the lack of work there. I've tended to concentrate on "big-wins" so far.

Feel free to reply here, PM me or email andrew@dearcupid.org

Andrew

Posted on 15 May 2006 @ 19:5 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

How about a break-down of our ratings? Eg: # voted for excellent, average, and poor.

Posted on 28 July 2006 @ 23:30 (London time) - permalink

Hi Martini

It already does this for percentages on the user page... but I'll be honest it's a can of worms to add numbers of list on the main ranking page because of the way the filtering works (to strip out stoopid/spamming ratings)

A

Posted on 1 August 2006 @ 16:55 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Ah i see... Alrighty then. 8]

Posted on 1 August 2006 @ 19:44 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I definately think a moderators forum would be beneficial. Not only would it be good to find out who else is a moderator here and say hi, but it would also be good to be able to discuss various topics together and with you Andrew...

Posted on 1 August 2006 @ 21:23 (London time) - permalink

Hi Pete

Noted. I will try and magic one up this week or next at the latest. Keep pestering me!

Andrew

Posted on 1 August 2006 @ 21:34 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

*woohoo*

:)

Posted on 1 August 2006 @ 22:27 (London time) - permalink

Wild ThaingWild Thaing, posted over a year ago

Hey Andrew:

Can you "magic up" a sent mail folder? I'm a bear of very little brain and cannot remember what I write to people in my PMs. Naturally those who respond assume that I know what I wrote... but I don't!

Thanks for considering my request.

Cheers.

Posted on 8 August 2006 @ 18:20 (London time) - permalink

Hi Wild

Yes, it'll be coming in the next update! It drives me a little crazy too. Maybe also something that matches messages to replies when viewing the message in your private mail box.

I'm having the same probs.

I'm pretty busy later recently with other stuff but should be in the next two weeks!

Thanks again

A

Posted on 8 August 2006 @ 18:58 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Andrew!

This is your official 2-week pester as asked,

pester, pester, pester, pester...

Posted on 14 August 2006 @ 0:20 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

"Keep pestering me!"

pester pester pester!

;)

Posted on 21 August 2006 @ 17:50 (London time) - permalink

Oops missed your first pester was out of the country... but spotted this one! Keep asking, I'm doing some work on the messageboards that is going live shortly so will fit in your request... !

Posted on 21 August 2006 @ 19:9 (London time) - permalink

PS. great arms in your new photo!

Posted on 21 August 2006 @ 19:15 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

ASDA smartprice stick on arms, 49p per arm.

Bargain!!

Posted on 21 August 2006 @ 21:23 (London time) - permalink

Wild ThaingWild Thaing, posted over a year ago

Hey Andrew, I'm checking back on that "sent mail" feature. Any progress to report?

Posted on 4 September 2006 @ 9:22 (London time) - permalink

WendygWendyg, posted over a year ago

Tis already there Wild Thaing..

If when in your mail box.. you look at the top of the mail (literally at the top of first mail you see, with headers,who to, etc and look directly above on the left hand side, you will now see that it says (Sent mail)... once in sent mail you can then go back to inbox as normal...

Hope that helps

Posted on 4 September 2006 @ 9:44 (London time) - permalink

WendygWendyg, posted over a year ago

Actually sorry its says (see your sent messages) Just click and brings up the out box.

:o)

Posted on 4 September 2006 @ 9:46 (London time) - permalink

David LewisDavid Lewis, posted over a year ago

Due to the new rating system, we can no longer see the ID number of an answer. We used to be able to see these and then could edit an answer. I edited a few because they contained email addresses, but am no longer able to do this. Is this intentional?

Where the answer box is for a question, is it possible to add info text asking the poster not to post email addresses? There are quite a few of these coming through lately.

Posted on 5 December 2006 @ 8:33 (London time) - permalink

Hi David

Good point, no it wasn't intentional to hide the ID of an answer, but it wasn't intentional for it to be visible before, if that makes sense?

I'll find a way to add the ID back, to make it easy for the mods.

Regarding email addresses, I'm dead against putting instructions on the site - 99% of folks wouldn't read it anyway.. but I'm going to code in a fix that will strip them out - will let you know when this goes live.

Thanks for the feedback!

Andrew

Posted on 5 December 2006 @ 8:54 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I have a great idea!!!

[clears voice and acknowledges the overwhelming crowds that eagerly listen in silence as I begin to speak]

How about, after the users name, somewhere near to the red heart a little tiny flag is shown to show which country the question/answer author comes from? I think this would be hugely beneficial, not only for age of concent questions, but indicating a country would probably lead to more properly directed advice.

Also, one day when dearcupid is a little closer to world domination and is receiving thousands of messages per day, users could also filter questions based on countries. e.g. People from the states might want to only view and answer questions from their area, etc. [note this idea would only be worth it when there are too many questions and answers appearing to keep up with everything]

Posted on 10 December 2006 @ 18:1 (London time) - permalink

In the great words of Jim Carrey. I like it...a LOT!

Posted on 10 December 2006 @ 18:35 (London time) - permalink

stinastina, posted over a year ago

That's a really good idea. I know that I've tried to give people advice w/ phone #s and other info from the US and UK, only to find out they're from Canada or South America, etc. (Guess I should have asked where they were from before I spent time doing that! lol) But w/ flags we wouldn't have to worry about that problem.

Also, maybe if you hover your mouse above the flag, then the country name pops up, too? I don't want to see a flag that I don't recongize and then have to hunt around for it...like if the person is from Nigeria or something. Maybe that's getting to be too much, though. Just a thought I thought I'd throw out. :)

Posted on 10 December 2006 @ 18:47 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Hey Dr Pete, that's a fantastic idea. 8]

Posted on 11 December 2006 @ 0:0 (London time) - permalink

it's greeeeeeee----at!

Posted on 11 December 2006 @ 5:11 (London time) - permalink

Pete - it's a good idea.

I'll look at doing it in the next site update!

Andrew

Posted on 12 December 2006 @ 13:12 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

*koff* http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/flags/ *koff*

Posted on 12 January 2007 @ 14:13 (London time) - permalink

Some form of indication of original poster would be handy when approving answers.

Posted on 12 January 2007 @ 14:34 (London time) - permalink

Hi David

Yes very good point was just thinking that earlier on this week. Will add when I've finished a new feature I'm working on.

Andrew

Posted on 12 January 2007 @ 15:20 (London time) - permalink

Thanks for the reminder Pete ;-)

After I finish the current update, which will go live either later today or early next week I'll do the flags!

Andrew

Posted on 12 January 2007 @ 15:21 (London time) - permalink

stinastina, posted over a year ago

I just saw flags popping up by people's names - they're so wee (and therefore cute)! This will be really helpful when it comes to answering posts. Plus it's fun to see where everyone is from. Thanks, Andrew! :)

Posted on 15 January 2007 @ 15:13 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Wow who thought up that flag idea, they must be so great!! :)

If I were a perfectionist I'd say populate the ALT tab so it says what country the flag is...

But then again they look really cute and fantastic and I think they'll really help in giving better targetted advice.

Nice one, Andrew :)

Posted on 15 January 2007 @ 17:54 (London time) - permalink

Hi Pete

Alt tags will be populated, this update is only 1/2 way there (the db table isn't online just the graphics and I hand-picked a few people to populate their countrycode to check it worked) :-)

Check back tomorrow and it should be finished!

Thanks for the idea + the link to the cute flags, appreciated :-))

Andrew

Posted on 15 January 2007 @ 17:58 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

... now about that Moderators forum *ducks* ;)

Posted on 15 January 2007 @ 19:48 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.156232199995429!