New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084399 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Cupid's Lounge > AWOL...

Go to latest mesage in thread

AWOL...

birdynumnumsbirdynumnums, posted over a year ago

Yep, I've been AWOL. Those of you who have been around for a while know that I lost may Dad last September, and that I posted a few questions about my brother, who has been battling with cancer since 2001. I just finished a family vacation this month, which included a rather bad fall for me, resulting in a few badly bruised ribs, and returned home to find out that my brother is in the hospital.

He had a brain tumor removed this past Christmas, and it wasn't successful. The cancer is growing at a strong pace now, and he has lost most of his ability to speak and the use of his right side. His wife has stayed by his side from first thing in the morning until the last thing at night from the moment that he went in to the hospital.

He apparently formed a relationship with a woman while he wasn't himself during the past several years, and he has had some extreme personality changes. He left his wife and grown daughters (and my newly widowed Mother) at Christmas to be with this woman. While I was visiting my brother in the hospital, the subject came up again and apparently, this woman send an e-mail that his daughters inadvertently read. The other woman told him that "he had better get himself down there after his surgery or they were through" (and my husband had told me that he had suspected that there was an ultimatum involved last Xmas...). This "other woman" has been constantly calling and e-mailed his wife, criticizing her and telling her what to do and criticizing her care of my brother. She has tried to interfere at the hospital as well, and my brother's wife has had to make sure that every shift of nurses knows that she and the daughters are in charge and have power of attorney. His wife runs a company and has taken time off and switched off with her daughters in order to still get work time in. The daughters are both going through for their PHD's. My brother isn't a rich man, so it's quite obvious that his family loves him and is devoted to him. The other woman, who chose to enter into this after it was obvious that he had some obvious issues that the brain tumor was producing, has decided that she has some right to his care. She has a group of people that my brother knew that are backing her up and egging her on.

They don't seem to realize how many people they are upsetting. We're all not his colleagues, friends and lovers. WE are His Life-Long family, the people who grew up with him, and the ones that he married and gave him children. If it weren't for his wife and the girls, he would not have a voice in his own care right now, because he can no longer speak! His wife never stopped loving him, and was brokenhearted by his decision to leave at Christmas.

I am VERY ANGRY!!!!!!!!!

I have totally skipped the other stages of grief and gone right to ANGER! WTF?????? What is wrong with this woman? Why on earth would she not realize how morally reprehensible her actions are right now? If karma can bite you in the ass any further than losing your lover, then I hope this woman gets all that is coming to her.

Anyways, that's why I have not been writing...

Any comments?

Posted on 17 August 2008 @ 4:50 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

, posted over a year ago

I'm not surprised that you're angry!

Maybe once he got the diagnosis your brother thought he'd better get some 'living' done thinking his days were numbered. Who knows what was going on in his mind? Who knows what's going on in this other woman's mind, and what does she hope to gain out of all this?

If power of attorney rests with his wife then she ought to be able to demand that the other woman isn't admitted to see your brother. The hospital staff should be told the reasons why she's not welcome.

If I was your sister-in-law I'd have given this woman a black eye and a fat lip by now.

What a can of worms!

Posted on 17 August 2008 @ 10:44 (London time) - permalink

DanielepewDanielepew, posted over a year ago

Dear Birdy, first of all, I hope your ribs aren't hurting anymore. Second, but no less important, I'm with you in this moment of pain. You need to know that those of us who have made friends with you are here to support you. We love you and the people around you.

Your and your family's pain has been a slowly increasing and very prolonged one. It's already seven years since your brother got the diagnosis. This period must feel like a struggle not to slide down. Diseases affect the person, but very often we forget that they affect those around the person as well.

You and your family are clearly committed to help your brother the best way you can. You do this because you love him. It hurts to think that someone else, who in all correctness should not be there, is interfering with the medical treatment and making irrational demands that make it all the more difficult to handle the pain and the situation.

As to your brother, I agree with Uncle Phil. You need to bear in mind that he wasn't of sound mind when he might have felt that he had but precious little time to live and wanted to live wildly. I suppose that sex and adventure helped him forget what he had and what his chances were. Nobody wants to be sick, particularly if the disease is incurable or has an uncertain prognosis. People want to wake up one day and think it was all a bad dream. If this happens to people who are in full control of themselves, I speculate that perhaps your brother felt all the more inclined to go wild. Forgive him for the mess he brought into everybody's life. I don't think he meant to cause any pain. Most likely he just wanted to ignore the idea of death. The responsible behavior we think we can expect from the sick looks different when you're the sick person and you understand that behaving responsibly will also mean that you have to deprive yourself of many of the pleasures of life. I'm not justifying him, but I want to give you my honest opinion on this, in the hope that you might find it easier to see clearly and perhaps forgive your brother.

The other woman seems unable to understand that she isn't helping. She also seemes to have been uncaring about your brother, when she gave him an ultimatum. I suppose she was aware of the fact that he had cancer, and I don't think it is right to apply this sort of pressure to a sick man. It seems she was ignoring the disease and dealing with the relationship as if they were young and had nothing to worry about. I don't think we can put her on the same level as your brother. She isn't sick, and her mind, I suppose, is sound. She should be helping.

To be fair with her, however, there might be a reason for her behavior. I can speculate that, over the years, she might have come to love your brother, in her own way. It can be difficult for her to feel excluded and unable to do anything for the man she had a long relationship with. She refuses to pay a constructive role, but maybe she is acting out of ill-understood affection.

The friends and people your brother met might be siding with her because of this. He's dying, dear Birdy, and he's dying for her as well. Maybe she doesn't have a good heart and is uncaring and hateful with you and your family, but I suppose she must also feel something because your brother is going to die.

I'm afraid it can be very difficult for you to read my words and take them for what they are, the honest opinion of somebody who really cares for you. It can also be very difficult for you to make such comments to your sister in law and your nieces. So, I think you must not do anything but continue to support and give your brother your love in his final moments. I just want you to wear the other side shoes, for a little while, and perhaps speculate as to why they are doing you all the harm they objectively do.

Your brother can't speak and therefore he is unable to say a few words he should be saying. Let me be the one who does that in his stead. He has two wonderful daughters, but I want to speak more about the gem of his wife. Caring after a sick person, who is about to die, is very hard work, in practical terms, but, above all, emotionally. She has left everything else to look after him in his final moments. This speaks volumes regarding who she is. It is all the more difficult to look this lovingly after a man who had done such serious harm to her. I wonder if, in his search for adventure, your husband realized that, right by his side, he had more than what many of us ever find in life. Maybe he wanted to feel the thrill of adventure. He failed to feel the touch of such a great love. Perhaps his disease deprived him of the ability to perceive how great it is to feel loved this way. He can't give anything back to her, and has hurt her, yet she is by his side. My respect for her.

Of course, dear Birdy, you can come to us if you need us. You know where to find us.

Posted on 17 August 2008 @ 17:20 (London time) - permalink

pepper27pepper27, posted over a year ago

Oh sweetheart you have been through so much of late to come back to this is a nightmare for you and your family. Im not supprised your angry I would be livid to the point Im afraid of wanting to knock the bitch out..Some may say that would be the wrong way to handle a situation but when its family and you see them suffering like this I couldnt sit back and watch this woman hurt my loved ones. I understand your anger so very much, She is selfish, Even if she loves your brother hunny then she should understand that loving someone is also letting go, she must see and realise the pain everyone is in and know and understand what a tumour of this nature can do to someone. She has no rights no rights at all to be involved hunny. Uncle phil is right when he says he wasnt of sound mind and I dont believe he wished to cause any pain on the family. In Circumstance like this you would think that anyone would realise and leave the family its not hard to realise how heartbroken you all must be sweetheart and she should understand and know this..Sweetheart I send you all my love and pray that you and your family get some peace if you need a chat at anytime love u no were I am TAKE CARE OF YOU LOVE TO YOUR FAMILY LOVE MANDY XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Posted on 17 August 2008 @ 19:16 (London time) - permalink

Birdy, and I should also praise you and your family for your support to your brother at this moment. I think he'd be moved and grateful if he could understand what is going on and how much love you're all giving him.

Posted on 17 August 2008 @ 19:18 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I think daniel is showing a lot of sense here birdy. It could well be that the Other Woman does care. But because of the irregular relationship she had with your brother it is unsurprisng that your family prefer to lock her out. And of course this makes her all the more determined to have some sort of input. Things get worse as there is a lot of heresay flying around damning her with this, that and the next thing and of course when she has no chance of a right to reply rumours can take root and grow wildly out of all sense of proportion.

It would be best you lay down some sort of plan where if you feel she must be completely excluded then exclude her, but try and take a step back from makin any more judgements about her as these will be more prejudical than normal at a time like this, and will only add to your stress and anger.

Your brothers previous relationship errors are trivia compared to what he and his/your family are going through now. The most important thing is his peace and comfort as he takes his final journey with his family alongside. Concentrate on that for the moment, bury your anger and you will be able to take better care of him and yourself.

My thoughts are with your brother, your family and yourself in this dark and dreadful time.

Waz

Posted on 17 August 2008 @ 19:38 (London time) - permalink

Thanks Guys. Your words are really appreciated. The most amazing thing is that she hasn't excluded the other woman!!! She is so gracious and strong! She has let her visit and take him out in his wheelchair. The last time, he came back as white as a sheet because she kept him out too long. (I can only hope that she didn't tell him that she was pregnant!) (Yes, my black humour is still kicking up...). I think that she must have the patience of the saints to put up with all of this, because I wouldn't, to be frank. I would be a misery. She is doing this to make him happy in his final days. Talk about strength.

As usual, you are all giving me a lot of support and perspective and I thank you all for that. I'm probably not going to be thinking of much else for a while, frankly, I can't think quite strait right now, so I'll probably be answering my mailbox and checking in on all the goings on in the forum and not much else on the column. I wouldn't trust my own advice right now...

You Guys are the best.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Posted on 18 August 2008 @ 0:45 (London time) - permalink

Dear Birdy, then I have to praise your sister-in-law one more time. I bet that so many of us wouldn't act the way she has. She is a woman of great spirit and humanity. It seems like she's letting her slap the other cheek, but she isn't. I don't think you should tell her about us, but I'm sure it would do her a lot of good if you could mention what a great soul she has.

Sometimes one can't think straight, I know. I have found, however, that you can concentrate much better on somebody else's problems than on your own. The reason is, you're not emotionally involved and you can think clearly. You need some of this, I guess, and I would trust your advice if I were anyone else.

You need our support as well. You're also losing a brother, and you obviously cared about him or you wouldn't be asking these questions. I understand you don't have much time or mind for anything else. I just beg you to be back if you need us. I think you will at least need some reassurance. Please, bear in mind that we care about you and we share your pain. Our hands are here if you need us.

Posted on 18 August 2008 @ 1:53 (London time) - permalink

Well Put.

XXX

Posted on 18 August 2008 @ 5:26 (London time) - permalink

Tisha-1Tisha-1, posted over a year ago

Birdy, I promised to post on this thread, and here I am finally getting to it. Sorry, it's been a busy weekend. I'm soooo sorry to hear about your brother and everything your family has been through. Seems that hurt is piling upon hurt and it's a huge burden for you all to carry. I hope you're all holding each other up and taking time to take care of yourselves as well. Eat right, sleep well, get some exercise, all this will help keep your mind balanced and able to handle the stressors that have been occurring. Let go of the non-essentials. Who cares if the house is a disaster or if the grass needs mowing, tell your friends and neighbors that you need help and I'm sure they'll come through for you. I'm sure you've already told your friends what's going on, but don't be afraid to ask for help. They can cook meals for you and your family, do the shopping when they go to the store. Activate that support network for you and ask for specific things. Don't be afraid to be selfish right now. That goes for your entire family.

As far as this OW goes, your sister sounds like she's been gracious and as welcoming as anybody could possibly be. It is all about easing your brother through this last phase of his life. And everyone is experiencing that grief and upset that this illness is causing.

One thought I had for you. The anger that is being directed at this woman, I expect it's especially acute, and I think that in a way, a major part of it is actually anger at your brother, for what he has done by bringing this woman into your lives. Intellectually you know that he has not been himself as a result of this brain tumor, these personality changes and the behavior and choices he was making were very hurtful to his wife and daughters and your mother too. Since you can't blame him for this, you may be deflecting and compounding this anger at her. Does that make sense?

And for skipping those stages of grief, straight to anger. Don't be surprised if you pop back and slide up and down the various stages at different times. It's rarely purely linear, I think. So give yourself permission to feel all the emotions you've been going through. I know you're a very wise and compassionate woman and I expect you'll get through this with all the grace and dignity you exemplify, and will get through this to a peaceful place. And that's what I wish for you, peace and serenity, because you will have done everything humanly possible to support your family through this. Don't be afraid to lean on others and ask for help, NOW is the time to be selfish.

Hugs to you and your family.

XXX

Posted on 18 August 2008 @ 14:8 (London time) - permalink

Here's a nice story that came from my niece while I was visiting. She's just turned 8. She always has slept with a stuffed animal. She calls them her Stuffies. She still like to fall asleep with them, even though she recognizes that she is getting older.

Her mom still falls asleep holding her and reading books to her. She said "I'm your Stuffie, Right Mom?".

Well, You guys are my Stuffies. It's a great comfort knowing that you are there for me to talk with.

I think that you are all right on with your remarks. My thanks to Waz, Phil, Daniel, Mandy and Tish. I think the comment about the grieving being non-linear is very true...

XXX

Posted on 18 August 2008 @ 17:32 (London time) - permalink

Hunny we are all here for you, My prayers and love are with you, Tisha speaks so much sense..Me I just got angry at your hurt. Your sister inlaw is one special lady hunny LOTS OF SQIDGY HUGS LOVE ME XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Posted on 18 August 2008 @ 18:33 (London time) - permalink

Oops, I called you Mandy! Hey, Old habits die hard, right Pepper?

((((((((((((((((((((( ))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Posted on 18 August 2008 @ 19:52 (London time) - permalink

its ok hun I still call me mandy :) ((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))

Posted on 18 August 2008 @ 20:17 (London time) - permalink

When I was a small child (I prefer not to say how long ago), I used to have something that played the role of Stuffies: a small blanket I had received as a present. Much like that Peanuts character, yes :-), except that my blanket had to be dirty and smelly or it would lose its magic power to protect me. They tell me I would make a tantrum whenever they washed the blanket. Sometimes I would play my games, and, suddenly, would turn to my blanket; if it was there, I was fine.

I'm glad we're your Stuffies, dear Birdy, or anything else, provided you keep us near you and your heart, and you come to us when you feel sad.

Posted on 18 August 2008 @ 20:26 (London time) - permalink

yes Daniel Im happy to be one of birdys stuffies, You lot are my saturdays thats my teddy that ive still got that kept me safe when I was ickle :)

Posted on 18 August 2008 @ 20:40 (London time) - permalink

My brother passed away August 30th at 11:00. The ironic thing is that his 99 year old Grandmother-in-Law passed away the day before him, leaving his wife in one city planning a funeral, and her Mom in another city planning another. It is so like him to complicate the hell out of things. Somewhere, there's a room full of starving people waiting for him and a badly overdone turkey.

Only he would get the joke.

William S. O'Farrell

1954-2008

Rest in Peace, Monk.

Posted on 31 August 2008 @ 15:13 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

So Sorry Birdy,

Nothing I can say can make it better... I just thought he would be here longer, and you would have more time.. Sorry, so sorry, I'm an only child, but brothers are important big time. My kind regards to you, his wife and the rest of the family. This must all be so stressful, but just a note to say that I am thinking of you all, and wishing your brother a safe journey to his next state of being. Blessings to you all, may you remain strong at heart...

Posted on 31 August 2008 @ 15:26 (London time) - permalink

So sorry to here of your familys pain hunny, Lots of love to you sweetheart and to your family BIG HUGS LOVE MANDY XXXXXXXXXXXX

Posted on 1 September 2008 @ 9:30 (London time) - permalink

Tisha-1Tisha-1, posted over a year ago

Birdy, my deepest condolences to you and your family. I know that you'll get through this awful time with the help and support and love of those around you, you family and friends. Hugs to you dear.

Xxxx

Posted on 1 September 2008 @ 11:56 (London time) - permalink

goddess cupidgoddess cupid, posted over a year ago

Dearest Birdie,

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. May your brother rest in peace, what you must know now is, that he is free from pain and suffering.

I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to lose a sibling, I have five, and if I don't go first ~ I know I will be absolutely devastated. So be strong honey, and we're all here for you. I'd give you such a hug right now if you were nearer, but instead look upon the following as a sort of replacement:

~*~

I'm sending you a squidgy hug

And hope it warms your heart

We wish we could be there for you

And so sad we're far apart.

~*~

Our hugs are meant for anyone

For whom we really care...

From grandmas to fathers to 'Aunties'

Or our favourite teddy bear.

~*~

I'm hoping that this squidgy hug

Will ease your pain a touch...

We're always here for you, you know

As you're loved so very much.

~*~

Niki xXx

"Analysis is the way of the mind, hugging is the way of the heart. The mind is the cause of all diseases, and the heart is the source of all healing."

Posted on 1 September 2008 @ 21:35 (London time) - permalink

BigSisBigSis, posted over a year ago

Re the above message Birdie,

It was me, BigSis.

My niece has decided to become an 'Aunt' too, and has been reading thru' the columns, for the past hour or so, and I've just taken the laptop off her to send you a poem, but didn't think to sign her out first...DOH!!!

Posted on 1 September 2008 @ 21:43 (London time) - permalink

Hi Diovan, Pepper, Tish and Sis,

Thanks. For me, writing on this site started out as a pleasant diversion. Now, well, it's such a comfort having all of you to talk with and depend on. It's all a bit surreal right now, God, what a year, first my Dad, then my brother, but having somewhere to write helps a lot. You are so much better for me than Raspberry Martinis! And you are silly and wonderful. So wonderful. Thanks.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((( XXX )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Posted on 2 September 2008 @ 0:13 (London time) - permalink

BigSisBigSis, posted over a year ago

So nice to know Birdie....that the effect we have is better than getting inebriated. {and we can't be blamed for you getting a hangover}

It certainly is amazing how much writing down your emotions can help, much more easier to express one's self ~ rather than face to face chat.

((((((((((XX)))))))))))

Posted on 2 September 2008 @ 7:31 (London time) - permalink

Big hugs hunny thinking of u (((((((((((X)))))))))))

Posted on 2 September 2008 @ 8:10 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.140596799996274!