New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084399 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Cupid's Lounge > snowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Go to latest mesage in thread

snowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

, posted over a year ago

I cant believe the disruption the snow has caused. We just couldnt get off our housing estate, no gritters for miles, freezing roads, ice etc. So my son hasnt been to college for the last two days, yet the college is on and the kids in the city cannot believe why he is off. We live out of the way a bit and it is like the artic her. How do people in icy countries survive? We are stumped with the first real bit of snow. How has everyone else managed with it all? come let me know! xx

Posted on 3 February 2009 @ 11:4 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

, posted over a year ago

I meant to say ARCTIC!!!! BRRRRRR FROZEN FINGERS XXXXXXXXXXXX

Posted on 3 February 2009 @ 11:5 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

As I look out of the window at this strange white landscape, where everything has come to a standstill, I wonder how people cope in places like Canada and Finland. Maybe we're just not prepared for it, and certainly here in Cornwall snow is a rare event. The last time we had weather like this was over 12 years ago.

Just how do places where the temperature drops to 30 below keep their roads free of ice? How do they start their cars in the morning? It looks like this weather is here for a few more days yet, so any useful tips as to how to cope would certainly be appreciated! (our salt cellar is now empty!)

Posted on 3 February 2009 @ 12:50 (London time) - permalink

pepper27pepper27, posted over a year ago

Try living on this island!!!!!!HA!!!!!!!Oh what fun :) I'm now going to try and get to work up the higher parishes were it is the worst...since 1986 so they said on the radio....

By the way just a quick note to say thank you for all that have been there for me over the last few months, Life can be shit at times but you sure no who your friends are..And for the ones who have messaged me asking if everything is ok..I appreciate everything, I just go very quiet when there is problems and disappear ..But I'm back and on the road once again to recovery THANK YOU (((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))

Posted on 3 February 2009 @ 13:30 (London time) - permalink

Tisha-1Tisha-1, posted over a year ago

It's great to hear from the UK contigent that you guys are still there! I know from experience that snow in an area that isn't ready for it and doesn't have the equipment and supplies to cope with it can be really dangerous.

Stay home if possible. If you need to de-ice your car, start it and let it warm up for a while, then go out with an ice-scraper. The only way to keep the roads clear of ice is to first plow them and then the road crews sprinkle a gritty compound that prevents ice building up. If you don't get snow that often, your road crews likely don't have much of a stock of it.

I believe in really cold climates, that people either remove the batteries from their car and take them inside or have special units that plug into the car to keep the battery warm so it can start up easily.

Hope you all stay safe and warm!!!

Posted on 3 February 2009 @ 16:8 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Thanks for that Tisha - a battery warmer sounds like a darned good idea. Mine is a heavier-duty-than-called-for battery which cost a small fortune but it still struggles to turn the engine over if it gets a couple of degrees below freezing. I don't suppose such a mains-operated device manufactured in the US would be much use over here as we're on 240v as opposed to 115 over there. Worth a look on Ebay though! Maybe I'll just try to pack the battery in polystyrene and bubble wrap if I can't find one of these things.

At the moment I've no need to go anywhere so am staying put!

Posted on 3 February 2009 @ 16:41 (London time) - permalink

eyeswideopeneyeswideopen, posted over a year ago

Put a light bulb under the hood and run it all night.

Posted on 3 February 2009 @ 18:53 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Thanks Eyes, that's another good idea which would no doubt keep the battery warm if you can put it close enough without melting or setting fire to anything. Definitely worth checking that one out and obviously a much cheaper option.

Posted on 3 February 2009 @ 20:23 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Thanks for all those great ideas.

I walked along the beach today while it was snowing, and the moon was in one area of the sky with the sun in the other part, really weird, but gorgeous, just wished i had taken my camera.

Posted on 4 February 2009 @ 0:51 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Weve got gallons of snow, we are snowed in and our village is cut off, ive been down the beach today and it is awesome.

Posted on 5 February 2009 @ 14:6 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Kinky, as a canadian, I will admit...I love snow, too. I know, I bellyache when the temps dip down so low here (like -30) but on those much nicer days, when the sun is shining, and the temps are around minus 5...I love to go for long walks in the fresh, crsip air. Enjoy it, dear. It won't stay long.

Posted on 5 February 2009 @ 15:23 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Irish - are you talking fahrenheit or centigrade? I hope for your sake it's not fahrenheit!

Posted on 5 February 2009 @ 17:30 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I mean centigrade, Phil.

Posted on 5 February 2009 @ 18:9 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

However, to us hearty, tough Canadians...we might leave a top button of our winter parkas..undone at 30 below, centigrade. If that was 30 below farenheit, we'd likely opt to keep that button done up...lol

Posted on 5 February 2009 @ 18:12 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Obviously a bunch of exhibitionists!!

Posted on 5 February 2009 @ 19:31 (London time) - permalink

jay12toesjay12toes, posted over a year ago

i live in michigan so we know all about the cold winters. thankfully my next door neighbor has a plow attached to his truck so he plows our drive way for us. i remember back early january the snow was high enough that i couldnt see the tires on my van. so i had to shovel it out and have 3 people help push me out of my own drive way.

Posted on 6 February 2009 @ 1:35 (London time) - permalink

eddieeddie, posted over a year ago

I hate winter. I even lived in the Caribbean for a year. I have to say though that until someone has lived in a place where winter is real, a person can never really understand that feeling/anticipation of spring. It's such a great feeling when you can start to go outside with less layers of clothes. Do you know what I mean? You know the feeling when you can get outside and wash the car, wearing a sweatshirt?

It's funny how in the fall, 50 F feels chilly but in the early spring, it feels great!

Posted on 6 February 2009 @ 1:44 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Spring truely is wonderful, when it finally gets here, in Canada. But I just had a thought. One sorta, good thing about frigid temps in Canada. With all the multiple layers we wear, people with 'buns of steel' look exactly like people with 'buns of jello'...I love it!!

Posted on 6 February 2009 @ 2:41 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Thanks for all the lovely words of encouragement. It does look lovely and spring is on the way. We had loads more snow this morning and our village is well and truly cut off. I made snow men and someone photographed them. Take care and be safe to all.

xx

Posted on 6 February 2009 @ 10:15 (London time) - permalink

eddieeddie, posted over a year ago

I think I heard something on the news about England getting hit with snow. You don't usually get much do you? I live in an area of Canada that gets less snow than some areas but we got more than enough this year. C'mon spring!!

Posted on 6 February 2009 @ 12:3 (London time) - permalink

eyeswideopeneyeswideopen, posted over a year ago

Heck we even got some snow in North Carolina this winter. C'mon spring!

Posted on 6 February 2009 @ 13:10 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

It has snowed all morning, just stopped now, hubby is trying to get home and the town where he works is cut off, so we will have to wait and see. Also our village shop has run out of supplies of milk and bread, so i will have to get my friend in her 4x4 to help out tonight. take care xx

Posted on 6 February 2009 @ 13:30 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Oh dear, that sounds like it's getting serious, Kinky. Snow can be a joy, but in some parts of the world, it can literally be life threatening, if a country or area is not prepared for it. I truely hope you all of you, will be okay! Keep us posted and good luck, hun...

Posted on 6 February 2009 @ 13:58 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

We're ok down here in the far southwest, the snow we had at the start of the week has now gone (thank the Gulf Stream), but 40 miles up the road on Bodmin Moor and beyond, a few people got trapped overnight last night in their cars on the main roads into Plymouth. I would hope they've been dug out by now.

An AA spokesperson was saying that far too many people treat their car as if it was an overcoat without bothering to put a proper one on the back seat, and once the engine is stopped there's a real risk of freezing to death or hypothermia at best if all you are wearing are your work clothes. I think that's a lesson to be learned.

Apparently councils up and down the country are rapidly running out of salt, and the Cheshire salt mines can't keep pace with demand. Things are getting dire in the UK. Councils can't afford the stuff if they've lost millions in the Icelandic banking fiasco, and many have, ours included.

Posted on 6 February 2009 @ 17:56 (London time) - permalink

jay12toesjay12toes, posted over a year ago

i just wish it would stay above 40F. The heater in my van isnt working so well so now i freeze on the way to work, well mostly my hands. i need driving gloves.

Posted on 7 February 2009 @ 2:5 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

We had ice overnight, so all the snow we had yesterday has frozen and the roads are so dangerous. Hubby got to work today, but will be sent home by 12. He's an expert at driving in the snow, but i am pretty rubbish so i will be staying in and keeping the house warm and making some warming soups. Keep you all posted. xx

Posted on 7 February 2009 @ 10:35 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

The snow has nearly all gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK GOODNESS XXXXXXXXX

Posted on 16 February 2009 @ 10:3 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.171868199999153!