New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244988 questions, 1084404 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > New User

Go to latest mesage in thread

New User

Sam WilsonSam Wilson, posted over a year ago

Hi...

So I'm Sam and I first used DearCupid to help me get advice in my disastrous love life. I've been here for almost a year but I only started answering other questions recently.

Hey I figured even though my love life's not perfect.I would like to give my opinions regarding an OP's question if I related to it.

So I currently have a rating of 5.13 is that bad? Because I also ask for advice here regularly and if people don't think my opinions are not that great am I really in the right mind to answer?

So for long term Aunts should I still give out advice...I'm fairly young and not as experienced but I do mean well and dig deep with my answers.

Posted on 9 March 2016 @ 8:46 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

AbellaAbella, posted over a year ago

Sam your answers are fine.

Yes it is disheartening to get low ratings for answers but keep on answering and try not to be discouraged by those who see the world differently to you.

Sam there are two ratings. Check out the Top Rated Aunts and Uncles list.

The list on the left is the rating that I call the "Everyone rating"

but there is another list on the right which I call the "OP rating."

Sam as you answer more questions keep an eye on the Original Poster (OP) rating. (you need 10 OP ratings to make it to the OP list)

Because the Original poster (OP)rating tells you what the OP thought of your answer.

And according to Andrew that OP rating tells you how well your answers are being received by the person who asked the question, and thus that is an important list.

Of course anyone is permitted to vote any way they see fit when they read answers. That is their right and good luck to them.

However I choose to confine my voting to only rate the great answers with 5 stars.

Just the act of deciding to write an answer is a great effort on anyone's part. Any poster who takes the time to give advice deserves respect, not discouragement.

Because the answers are subject to Moderation I think very few "really poor" answers ever make it to the Main site. And those who are on Automatic Approval are assumed to always post acceptable answers, not poor answers.

Thus I feel no need to meanly vote people as average and poor.

why?

I do this because I have come to the conclusion that there actually are some people who get pleasure in voting people's answers as "poor", no matter what is written.

Goodness knows what they think they achieve. Perhaps one of the persons who gets pleasure in consistently voting a person's answers as very poor might like to explain why they choose to do this.

Thus Sam hold your head up high, your answers are sincere and good. I have enjoyed reading your answers.

I will look forward to reading more of your great answers.

Posted on 9 March 2016 @ 13:11 (London time) - permalink

HoneypieHoneypie, posted over a year ago

I agree with Abella. The "ratings" is NOT as important as some might think. What is important is that the people giving advice UNDERSTANDS that they are talking to another human being not some faceless person on the interweb, and that you try and give the best advice YOU have from YOUR point of view.

Don't focus on the ratings, just post as best as you can. EACH person have a unique perspective and sometimes giving advice is something in line with guesswork - trying to read between the lines, but also putting yourself in "unfamiliar shoes".

It's not about telling the OP what they want to hear. Anyone can do that.

And it's not about telling other aunties/uncles they are wrong. Now they might have misunderstood something or missed something and THAT I think is fine to point out, but I try and stick with just answering the OP as much as possible.

I try and stick to 5 star rating as well.

Keep it up!

Posted on 12 March 2016 @ 23:46 (London time) - permalink

aunt honestyaunt honesty, posted over a year ago

Hey you say your love life is not perfect, but nobody on here is perfect. We are all here to advice people and give them our opinion on what they are asking. Some people don't like to hear the truth, but yes it can be disheartening when you try to be good to someone, try and help them and they rate you a low score. However don't let it stop you giving out advice. This site is here to help all sorts of people, and it is great to see more people commenting on others posts instead of just asking questions. So keep up the good work!

Posted on 15 March 2016 @ 23:34 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.140642800004571!