New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084399 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > Ratings

Go to latest mesage in thread

Ratings

Cool CucumberCool Cucumber, posted over a year ago

Surley having a rating system for the answers you give is a little biast? And a little unfair. People's opinions vary greatly and you can not rate someone good or bad in this way, it's a little 'black and white' in my opinion.

Posted on 6 October 2006 @ 11:30 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

WendygWendyg, posted over a year ago

Im assuming your not liking your ratings then...

I dont tend to pay much attention, as you say we all have a different opinions, someone that gave great advice for someone today, could give really crap advice to someone the next day!

All the questions are different and some dont like to hear the truth and will rate the answer as such in distaste rather than taking on board whats been said..

Chill about it, so longs you help the person you intended to then dont worry about it, we cant help everyone, but at least if we can help one person we have done something good for others!

x

Posted on 6 October 2006 @ 11:40 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I kinda of agree, but then again, I kind of don't.

(by the way - only one person had given you feedback. Maybe it was the reply to the Pill question, I think that was a little confusing and inaccurate. I rated you an excellent and average on the other questions)

I think it is great to have a distinction between the rating that the question asker gives, and what the wider audience gives, I find that very interesting.

There are a few people on here who DO give bad advice, they clearly have their own agenda, constantly refer to their own negative experiences and are completely prejudice about giving advice based on their experiences, incapable of knowing that every persons experiences are unique and that just because a particular situation happened in a certain way for them, it does not mean another persons -seemingly- similar situation could be any thing like their own. For example, perhaps someone replies with "LEAVE HIM!!!" at least by seeing they have a 90% poor rating you can be more inclined to discount that well-meaning, yet ultimately life-changing two words and all important accompanying triple exclamation marks.

I think people who give excellent advice tend to take a case on its individual merit, does not appear judgemental, perhaps offers suggestions, compares the situation to their similar experiences [note: compare, not equate] and comes across as generally having "helped" the situation. They tend to support and encourage the question asker.

People have their own ways of doing this, and so of course people will choose the rating they personally feel is best.

Ultimately though, a high, or low, rating is indicative of nothing more than what the majority of people believed it to be. Where's the harm in that?

Posted on 6 October 2006 @ 14:48 (London time) - permalink

Cool CucumberCool Cucumber, posted over a year ago

Ok. Well I guess it's each to his own. I do notice though that people on here do tend to be quite biast anyway in general with their answers. Can be kinda hard to remain neutral, but then people should, they don't have to answer the question if they don't want to if they find it offensive or whatever! I answered to the best of my abitilty re the pill one as I used to take the pill...and have spoken to the doctor before about such matters.

Posted on 6 October 2006 @ 15:49 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Hi Cool Cucumber,don't let the rating system worry you,you can't always give people what they want to hear.Don't be afraid to say what you believe in because you are afraid of poor ratings.We are hear because we want to help people and those people can take our advice or they can leave it.BTW I understood what you were trying to say re:the pill question.All we can give is our best.Keep it up, the more Aunts and Uncles there are,the better.

Posted on 6 October 2006 @ 17:39 (London time) - permalink

snowbirdsnowbird, posted over a year ago

Yes, the way I usually approach (and decide who I can best help) is by selecting the questions on the subjects I have some personal experience of, and then airing my own experiences, giving my reasons for taking the actions I did, and leaving the way clear for people to arrive at their own decision, given their own particular circumstances..ask them some pertinent questions, and give them something to ponder on - a new slant from which to look at things. You may then get them to hit on a solution by themselves, having gotten them to look at the problem from several angles..(sorry to ramble)!

Posted on 7 October 2006 @ 16:54 (London time) - permalink

David LewisDavid Lewis, posted over a year ago

I have found that some people would give you a poor rating, plainly based on the fact that they do not agree with you, or when you say they are in the wrong. I have never gave a poor rating, I would prefer to just not rate at all.

I mainly tend to answer questions which I have experienced myself, but it can be a little difficult to remain unbiased sometimes.

Do ratings count if the answer or question was written anonymously?

Posted on 9 October 2006 @ 12:38 (London time) - permalink

DearCupidDearCupid, posted over a year ago

David

Yes - anon answers also count towards your ratings.

Ratings are really important for the site for two main reason:

1. People who get good ratings stick around and keep helping.

2. People who get poor ratings tend to give up and move on.

This really helps the quality of responses that people get.

A.

Posted on 9 October 2006 @ 13:8 (London time) - permalink

tuxtux, posted over a year ago

I think they are good.. because it also can give some merit to who's giving the advice.. I mean if person has all negative then it's problaly a bigger sign to take it with more of a grain of salt. though can be misleading if they have not been around to give a lot of advice and the only time they got rated was a few times which they offered advice someone did not agree with..

Though it does feel good and I do pride myself in my rating :D but it's not the end-all.. It's more important to give advice on what you can when someone needs it.

Posted on 25 October 2006 @ 12:5 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.140593599993736!