New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084400 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > Ratings

Go to latest mesage in thread

Ratings

Confuzzled012Confuzzled012, posted over a year ago

I would love this rating thing to go away. People rate immarturely. If they don't agree, they deem the advice bad. People can be so juevenile.

Posted on 22 September 2009 @ 3:49 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

eyeswideopeneyeswideopen, posted over a year ago

My ratings went in the toilet right after I told a 13 year old that there was no future for her and her 45 year old married math teacher. Don't sweat the ratings.

Posted on 22 September 2009 @ 15:5 (London time) - permalink

Tisha-1Tisha-1, posted over a year ago

And she never looked back....

I think you know if you are giving good advice or not. I used to fret and worry about mine, way back when I had higher numbers. Now it's just what it is; I'm doing the best I can and I don't even look anymore. It's not about the numbers, anyway.

Posted on 22 September 2009 @ 16:37 (London time) - permalink

Back when your numbers were higher? They're really high now so I certainly hope you haven't stressed.My ratings aren't low, that's not my issue. I just don't like the concept. People being rated.. Owell.

Posted on 22 September 2009 @ 17:46 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I don't like the ratings either, but here is how I look at the rules on various sites. I belong to various discussion boards on all types of subjects. There is not one of them that is just the way I would like it to be. If I really hate the site or some part of the site, like extremely strict mods or constant nastiness, then I just leave the site. I have done this on one site and just don't bother with a couple of others. If if is just something that I don't like but the site is good otherwise, then I just put up with it. Perhaps some here love the ratings and would complain if they were taken away. You can't please everyone, no matter how hard you try.

Posted on 22 September 2009 @ 18:32 (London time) - permalink

True.

I would not leave this site because of it. Lol. That's childish. I wanted to see if I was the only one who thought so. I really don't expect Andrew to change it because of my forum post.

Posted on 22 September 2009 @ 19:0 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I look at the rating as a mile market to how on target I am. The more right you are and the more you hit the nail on the head the less likely people will want to hear it. Low ratings bring it.

Posted on 23 September 2009 @ 1:38 (London time) - permalink

Wow.. i'm sorry but that sounds a little egotistical to me. You assume that everytime someoen hates your answer it's because you're brilliant?

The only time I rate anyone is if they were harmful, especially bad advice. i don't think its accurate to say that every person on this site rates right answers poorly.

The nail on the head answers are those that are accurate, informative, knowledgable and caring. People tend to resist a negative attitude. Not a perfect answer.

Posted on 23 September 2009 @ 2:24 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

thers always people who like you,or dont like you. but dont judge due to ratings is what i say.

Posted on 23 September 2009 @ 10:21 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

To be honest, I don't care whether other people agree with what I say or not. If they agree, that's great, if not, then that's fine too.

I only care about what the OP thinks, because that's the person who is asking for the help here. I rate people's answers relatively often, if I feel like it's something that I would have said and if the OP would definately benefit from reading it. I have never rated anyone down, but I have clicked the button to vote for a comment to be removed. That was because what the aunt(s) wrote was just plain rude and offensive, not because it's a different POV.

Posted on 23 September 2009 @ 10:43 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Actually, I'm not sure that I care that much about how the OP rates me. OK, I would care if someone has a real problem and I give them the best well thought out advice that I can possibly give based on my own life experience. But how about that occasional question from the guy who wants advice on how to get his brother's wife into bed, or something like that. If I tell him that he is an idiot and that it is totally wrong then he gives me a 1 star. If I give him some great tips on how to do that to his brother and it works, then he gives me a 5 star rating. So that high rating makes me a good aunt? That is just one example of how the rating system is not the real sign of who gives the best advice. The other is the person who just answers questions that are easy and have obvious nice answers and avoids the controversial questions just to keep their ratings up.

I think that Eyes has the right idea; just speak your mind and forget the ratings.

Posted on 23 September 2009 @ 21:18 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Posters can be pretty goddamn creative in the wording of their questions. They know what they want to hear. They cloak their circumstance to get an answer closer to what they want to hear. If you pick up distortion and filter it out, they don't reward you for sniffing out their true intent. They call you rude and hold you in contempt. They want permission. We deny it. No one here is holding them accountable for their actions. No one here knows how they will ultimately handle things. They want to do what they want to do, and hope we will enable them to wreak havoc on some poor slobs life and live cocooned in denial. Too fucking bad. We saw through that lame shit half way through the first sentence.

Posted on 24 September 2009 @ 4:22 (London time) - permalink

You mean like,

I cheated on my husband.. but.. but.. he was blading and he got fatter and he said something mean to me and i was at a low point in my life and was feeling very insecure and I didn't really do anything wrong, right?

Posted on 24 September 2009 @ 4:26 (London time) - permalink

blading = balding.

Posted on 24 September 2009 @ 4:27 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Exactly!

Posted on 24 September 2009 @ 18:5 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

My ratings were extremely high when I joined this site some time ago, then steadily dropped until recent months where they seem to stay within a point or two of itself.

I used to worry about the rating getting too low, because I assumed that a too-lot rating or too many "poor" and "remove" votes would have me kicked off the site. However, I have since stopped being so concerned about it.

Q above me is correct. Many people come here seeking permission, not advice. Also, many people come here seeking questions we cannot answer logically like "Does s/he like me?" and other things that would require us to be psychic. Also, some people come here seeking medical advice. Low ratings will happen when you tell those sorts of people the truth, that we can't help them.

I have since stopped worrying about my rating. I get far FAR more emails from people telling me that they like the fact that I am honest and blunt without being cruel, than people saying I'm a "bitch".

In the end, the rating system is unnecessary, but a cute feature unlike many other similar websites.

Posted on 24 September 2009 @ 20:1 (London time) - permalink

kathy255, posted over a year ago

To be honest I have never looked at anybody's ratings and was not even aware that they existed for awhile. This site to me is used to get and give advice, not a popularity contest. I don't know why anybody would care about what other people think about their opinion. Although, I am curious to see what my ratings are.

Posted on 25 September 2009 @ 6:9 (London time) - permalink

What I just don't want is a reader to not take someone seriously because of their ratings. Say they get three different answers and go to each person's profile and one person has a 5 or a 6 and the two others have 7ish or 8.. is that reader going to dismiss that person's advice because it's lower than the other two? When in reality, someone had personal beef with the first person and went and rated his answers poorly?

Posted on 25 September 2009 @ 15:43 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

think the reader will take the advice they want to hear. so if it comes from a 6 year old or 100 year old it will make no difference.

i know if i was more sympathetic my score would rise. But that is not what we are here for (the score...lol) -I prefer to speak a bit less wordy than some and lose points for it.

Don't judge on the ratings, no more than someone with 1 star in a burger chain will sell you a burger any different than a 5 star one. Its the burger that counts...not the stars...

Hugs, star.x. (ok that one counted lol)

Posted on 26 September 2009 @ 18:5 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

You can never tell where your ratings are coming from. I am hammered by the question askers - at least the ones that choose to rate me.

When you affect them enough to rate you, they either hammer you or they extol your virtues. Most of them just bug out without rating.

Besides, don't count out the aunts with egos tied to their ratings. It would be a simple matter for them to run around killing the ratings of an aunt they percieve to be a threat to their supremacy.

I was #1 for a brief time, then in one day I dropped from about 9.25 to 8.3. I don't know what I did. I don't really care, just figured I pissed someone off and they systematically went down my column and hammered me on every post.

I measure my impact by the number of thank you's and follow ups I get from posters in PM. To me, it is MUCH more meaningfull when they take the time to PM me rather than just click a rating star. Getting a heartfelt thanks is more rewarding than any rating system. Especially if I helped someone save a relationship.

Posted on 27 September 2009 @ 6:33 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

thats how i feel too. Forget the ratings and go with the follow ups. Not to change your voice but to know if you are helping anyone...and those thank you follow ups just make my day like no ratings ever could. Its just an interesting aside. :)

Posted on 27 September 2009 @ 20:18 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.125024500004656!