New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084399 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Cupid's Lounge > Racism

Go to latest mesage in thread

Racism

eddieeddie, posted over a year ago

I saw a couple posts yesterday and some comments concerning racism. I do believe some folks are misinformed. When someone doesn't like the thought of an individual because of skin colour, that is racism! You either consider people to be equal or not. If you feel they are not worthy because of skin colour, your racist.

The anon post about black men being well endowed, who really knows. For the most part, I assume, that is really unknown. I'd like to ask the woman who posted that message how she gathered her research.

Racism comes in very many degrees. Some are very subtle, others are blatant....I don't want people of colour in this neighbourhood....well Ok, they can live here but not next o me....Ok, they can live nextdoor but my kids can't play with them....Ok, my kids can play with them but no boyfriend girlfriend stuff....

It's all based on crap. There are some jokes, comedians etc that can make light of our differences. Many of the jokes are funny. And, yes, there is some truth to the humour. Certain nationalities, not races, do things certain ways. This usually has some historical reason that was well justified. When you lump us all in the same livingf space, the differences become apparent. This should be celebrated, not looked down upon. We have a cultural festival in my sity every year. It's a great experience. Canada is one of the most diverse countries in the world. I love it.

The neighbours I have, starting right nextdoor, are from Laos, followed by, Italy, Poland, Philippines, Brazil and so on. We all get along just fine.

Posted on 4 January 2007 @ 13:33 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

, posted over a year ago

True true. I talked about the penis size of black men and why people who are against "inter-racial relationships (lol) ["racists"]" and the misconceptions being rooted in racism dating back to slavery a week or so ago. I thought it was a pretty good post, didn't get any rants back though :(

As a species we're so flawed to see ourselves as independent, seperate and lonely entities to one another. *group hug* haha.

Posted on 4 January 2007 @ 14:33 (London time) - permalink

willywombatwillywombat, posted over a year ago

Invariably many converstaions in the Uk at the present time start with 'I'm not racist but...' due to the influx of Eastern Europeans into the EU. I have problems with the fact that many of the care jobs in nursing are now being taken by (for example) Polish workers who will work for less. Whether this is right or wrong, they are all individuals who happen to come from a poorer economy than ours and we would do the same if the position was reversed. But we tar them all with the same brush....'they are great hard working peiople' or 'they have a srtong work ethic' or 'God, they are all crap'. Apparently we not only judge on colour, but religion, ethnic background, speech, smell, dress....evrything.

I think what I am trying to say is, I have no problem with people beacsue of the COLOUR of their skin. I have a problem with individuals that I have a problem with....d'oh, I mean if I have a problem with them whatever colour they are it is cos I have a problem with THEM...does that make sense? Or am I in autowhitter mode again?

That is one of the good things about here, we cannot judge using our sight, only our perceptions on what the writers lay down.

Posted on 4 January 2007 @ 15:51 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Racism and Stereotyping, unfortunately go hand in hand.

It is still all about ignorance. Just each individual needs to strive to be accepting of others differences and see the postivies...too often we focus on other's weaknesses, differences, negatives to disassociate ourselves from them so we can justify our feelings of anger and resentment.

If we can begin to see our fellow beings as our neighbours...LOVE SESAME STREET...and our friend, we would do well to treat them as they need to be treated even when they are being ignorant.

I have to say...it's tough for me but it is something I work hard to do, and I fail at times, but I also succeed.

Posted on 4 January 2007 @ 16:37 (London time) - permalink

Also a lot of stereotypes have some basis in truth...now, i will give one or two examples, but this does not mean we should all judge all people who look or are in a situation like that. (The homeless are 'mentally ill' -- unfortunately a lot of truth in this stereotype as a high percentage od people who live on the streets have slipped thru the mental health net, just an example)

As I have got older I am more open minded in that stuff doesn't 'shock me', but I am also in some ways less tolerant as I know the utopia of a completely equal society will never happen.

Posted on 4 January 2007 @ 18:54 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I think that there is an uniting power that if we can stop to listen to it...we would be open to doing more good and no harm to another.

To look at a homeless person and realize that he/she may have come from a good home and had two loving parents and now believes he/she is not of value, has given into despair, has adopted habits that will further enslave his/her mind, spirit, and body to living on the streets...stirs my heart.

To look at a homeless person and realize that he/she may have come from a home where there was no love, no teachings of how he/she has great worth, that he/she can be happy and deserves it, and that life is full of trials and once endured, we get to experience the joys of overcoming them-to have hope and faith that life has purpose...stirs my heart.

So if I am able to do this for a homeless fellow brother or sister...how is it I struggle with the daycare worker who looks down her nose at me and tells me how I am failing at being a good Mom to my sons?

Kindness begets kindness...and it starts with ME.

I reacted to the daycare worker, I stopped listening. I went home and mulled it over. I did my best to see from her side. Was she having a bad day? Do I remind her of someone? What could go on in her day that she felt the need to be angry and judgemental? What could I do so that we don't have to be angry at one another?

I went to her and apologized for not understanding her and focused on what we had in common...my sons. I told her thank you for being so caring about my sons and it makes me feel better that there is someone in the daycare who wants my sons to be happy and taken care of and I trust she will do her part. I dropper her off a small gift and told her to have a good day.

Since then...she has only been kind to me.

Posted on 4 January 2007 @ 20:19 (London time) - permalink

Let's face it, all people from all walks of life desire to be happy and comfortable. Travel makes us aware of that. Travel opens minds and breaks down barriers.

Aside from racism, I saw something a little disturbing on a post from a GIRL, not a woman, requesting information on circumcision and blow jobs. Although it's none of my business, in general, should this site be giving young kids, she's 13 -15 years old, instructions about oral sex etc. I think that's a little extreme. Just because we're anonymous doesn't make it wise. I wouldn't want my neighbour telling my daughter how to do it and the best technique.....

Posted on 4 January 2007 @ 21:9 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Eddie's comments he mentioned above:

http://www.dearcupid.org/question/girlfriend-dlept-with-guy-over-2-years-ago.html

Well, I've never quite understood the "race" factor, considering we're all one race of humans.

As for Pete, I read your post a week ago about interracial relationships and the common conception of a black man's cock being gigantic:

---

Don't pamper this issue up with vague politically-correct words, it isn't that your family don't approve of "inter-racial" relationships, the truth is your family are racist.

This kind of racism, or being against "inter-racial" relationships if you prefer is traced back to slavery. Slavery was justified by westerners because it was said that black people are sub-human; they are closer to animals, to primitive existence, hense racist taunts regarding jungles, living in trees, etc. The issue is though that by regarding the black man as primitive and "jungle-like" the ideas of his masculinity is grossly exaggerated. Hense white racist people tend to believe that black men have huge overwhelmingly huge penis's, a symbol used to dominate and control the animal kingdom.

This is why some racists believe that black men rape white girls, and why others don't approve of "inter-racial" relationships. Deep down, it comes down to an inferiority complex based on sex and power. It is from a deeply established fear that a black person is animalistic in nature.

If your family really see black people as so different to white and that they should "stick with their own kind" then you have a tremendously big problem ahead of you. But to give up your chance of happiness for the small-minded views of your family? That seems very tragic to me.

---

I thought what you wrote was quite interesting and didn't make a comment cuz it was right to the point and really all the question asker needed.

Posted on 4 January 2007 @ 21:12 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I think Eddie's reply to the girlfriend-slept-with-a-guy-over-2-years-ago is right, it is rooted in a racist view towards black men.

However, it is not a criticism, not at all.

It's not really anything to be ashamed about, at least he is aware of it, and it is bothering him. He could be beating his girlfriend up shouting at her "how could you go with 'those' kind", spit in her face and leave her. I think that would be a little more worrying.

Many white guys have problems with their girlfriends going with black or asian men. It does highlight a degree of racism, but, as I put in the post martini pasted, it is more of a masculine insecurity that is derived from racist propaganda.

2 years though stressing over her having sex with one person. Poor dude!

Peter

Posted on 4 January 2007 @ 23:20 (London time) - permalink

In reply to eddie and the 'younger' question askers, I agree actually. It is a little disturbing to be giving info to a 13-15 year old on Bj's.

On the racism note I have a question to ask. I am considered from a 'white' and English background, but is this so when I have a Great-Grandma who was from China and a Graet-Grandad from somewhere in Scandinavia, maternal Greatgrandparents from Spain and Ireland -- with a little Scottish thrown in for good measure? I only know my heritage because of family record keeping!

I also have a friend who was mortified when her BF left her when she has a child with skin lighter than both his and hers -- convinced that she had had an affair with a white man....

Skin colour causes too many problems in my view.

Just as a footnote, when my son was born he had RED hair....and because my maternal family all have very almond shaped eyes and he inherited these and was pale people thought there was something 'wrong' with him....Downs syndrome. they wouldn't accept it was to do with our gentic 'mixture'.

WHAT am I waffling about??

Posted on 4 January 2007 @ 23:51 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

So he looked like an Asian-descendant boy with natural red hair? That's awesome! Like those anime heroes with huge red spikey hair and stuff...

Mhm...

Anyway as I said to Eddie, it would make sense to NOT give a 13 year old suggestions on how to express sexual stuffs on his/her partner. Then again, would it be better to not give good advice and have them go ahead anyway and do it badly, or give advice and allow them to do it properly? I think that would be the dilemma, unless of course, you were/are ethically inclined to NOT give advice because of its nature.

Posted on 4 January 2007 @ 23:58 (London time) - permalink

It is ok, My Mum used to get told to put dark glasses on me when I was born cos I was WHITE!! We are talking kinda transparent..... She also got asked until I was about 6 if I was albino....

Posted on 5 January 2007 @ 0:11 (London time) - permalink

I'm a white Canadaian of mostly British stock. My wife is latin form the caribbean. She is a mixture of spanish, American Indian and black. She's from one of the islands. The history is the same for Cuba, dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. The Indians lived there, minding their own business. The spanish role in one day and said.."que isla mas bonita" ( what a pretty island ) So, they decided to stay, sicken the indians with disease, use them as workers, and inter breed with them. Before they knew it, they were out of workers. So they jumped in the ships, took off for Africa and found some slaves. They brought them back and had a new work force. The end result is tis, they also bred with the African slaves and ended up with a beautiful race of people. I lived there and can say I've never seen so many exotic looking women.

So, I married one, brought her back to Canada, got her to clean house...........Hey, I sound Spanish !!!

Actually my point is, when you have a child down there, you can expect anything. They don't really notice colour. My brother in law is the darkest person in my wifes light skinned family. They call him negro. In spanish that's black. In their culture, that is not offensive at all.

Posted on 5 January 2007 @ 13:29 (London time) - permalink

It is scary that just the use of words when they are not meant to be offensive an be construed as offensive by anybody. It is ok to take the rip out of ginger people in the Uk but not people who have dark skin of any description. But why? To a white freckly red head it is just as offensive to be called 'carrot top, or duracell' as it is for a person with darker skin to be called 'nigger'. I hate the use of that word by the way, regardless of who is using it. It is picking on something that cannot be changed. We are all humans who have adapted to whatever environment our forefathers grew up in. And being as white skinned and freckly as I am I just know that my genetic Celtic heritage made itself known when I was being made....

To me, we should not have problems with something people are born with full stop.

Posted on 5 January 2007 @ 14:38 (London time) - permalink

NikitaNikita, posted over a year ago

I have reddish blonde hair and when i was younger it was a lot redder, im talking carrot coloured and i was called all the names under the sun. It was acceptable then and it still is. Its not fair, Its gingerism! just as offensive as racism.

Posted on 5 January 2007 @ 15:45 (London time) - permalink

DearCupidDearCupid, posted over a year ago

I once walked home from school with a kid with ginger hair and he had to suffer taunts from the second we left the school door to the minute I said "smell ya later ginger"... poor kid even got other kids asking if he had ginger pubes!?

The mind boggles

A

Posted on 5 January 2007 @ 16:52 (London time) - permalink

oh yeah, i got asked that one too and also, 'hey duracell, do you last longer than other girls!'My sides were splitting.

Posted on 5 January 2007 @ 19:0 (London time) - permalink

It's different. Judging someone by race is insinuating they are inferior. It is a belief that an entire "race" of people and what they represent is second rate. People who are racist hope to keep the other race down. It is a real belief.

Posted on 5 January 2007 @ 19:6 (London time) - permalink

Calling someone a 'nigger' and calling someone 'ginger-minger' is the same in my book. It is insulting about a part of the person that they where born with. It is like insulting people and calling them 'four-eyes' and 'spastic'. Racism nowadays seems to have been expanded so you can say what you like about 'white' individuals and it is exceptable (eg. the use of the phrase 'snow-ho' and 'honkey') but you cannot say anything about anybody else anywhere EVER!!

Like anything tho it is all about perception. I have friends and family from many cultures, religious backgrounds and races, so can try to see things from other peoples viewpoint...

Posted on 5 January 2007 @ 19:48 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I am going to have to say that the N word...which I don't like typed again and again and little " " won't make it less of an offensive term with a horrid history attached to it.

African Americans (my daughters have this heritage) and the N word have a history of violence -be it rapes, hangings, burnings,beatings?? And is still ongoing today.

Ginger hair people...haven't heard they have a bloody history. Educate me if it is otherwise.

A person with Ginger hair can go out and lighten their hair or color it darker. And thus proves that hair is an esthetics issue.

I agree that abuse and name calling is unacceptable and hard to bear and doesn't lessen it's affects even when you are an adult as the wounds of yesteryear ache and burn fierce.

Even with the advancement of science and DNA and how the Aboriginals of Austrailia have more in common DNA with people from Norway...this hasn't been readily accepted. Proving that racism is an adopted mindset that people are slow to change from.

We do cling to the silliest of things for comfort; for familiarity.

I have been persecuted for not being dark enough for being a Native American and not being White enough for my French and Norse heritage.

I have been exempt from being recognized as a First Nations person as I don't sound like one.

That whole ebonics thing that people get their backs up and don't understand that dialect and word sounds and how they are spoken are pasted down. So in plains Cree, the "g" is not a sound that exsists in our language so when you have someone like my Grandparents speaking English...they say bakin, shoppin, Hanh instead of hang...and I spent enough time around them that I picked it up.

It wasn't until grade 6 when a teacher of mine had me stay after school, for two months, working on ennounciating words to her approval. It had me in tears as 12 years of people deeming it fit and fine for me to not ennounciate as it is okay for a First Nations to sound "uneducated" as my Grade 6 teacher explained...but she would not be happy being called Teacher if she didn't teach me how to speak English properly. So she must have exceeded as I get noted on it time and again...like I should get a pat on the head and a doggie treat.

In Canada...Native Americans have it hard and I know because I have been constantly divided between two worlds. It is not fun and does not make for a comfortable childhood. You side with one side and you are wrong. You begin to be happy and feel that it is far better to not belong and just stand firm in who you are which at times proved lonely.

So...I am who I am and I do what I do and you like it or you don't. I happen to have good standards and values which I do my utmost to adhere to and this is what makes up a part of my character which people do notice.

Then you get those compliments *rollseyes* you are so different than I thought an Indian would be. Or when they are regurgitating the stereotypes that have been handed down in our public school systems of we are all drunks, we are drug abusers, we have mutliple children with different fathers, we can't speak English properly, we cannot rise up past a certain economic status or education...then I say excuse me, you are talking about my People like that and I don't like it so stop. I then get "Oh...well I wasn't talking about you; you're not like them."

I am First Nations regardless what you think and there are far more of my people who live just like I do so enough with the ignorance.

Posted on 5 January 2007 @ 20:57 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Actually, I would have to agree on First Nations having the worst overall racism in Canada. As far as multicultural goes, Canada does have a wide range of cultures and religion, but as far as original peoples goes, First Nations get special treatment - either that be bad or good.

For racism, there is a spectrum of prejudice. Surely, people here in discussion know this - from genocide to passive thinking or the infamous 'hit-and-run' tactics.

Born Canadian, and still retaining my Canadian status for as long as this Earth exists, I have been called "Chink", have been stated to "Not belong here" and to "go home to where I came from". At age 8, I had some Caucasian teenager knee me in the groin just because I didn't agree to what he said about me being Canadian. In fact, a Caucasian couple thought that my mom and I were catching frogs at their ditch so we can take them home and eat them, calling us uncivilized and terrible creatures. First and foremost, I had turtles at home and thought the frogs would be excellent companions for them. Second, I wouldn't think of eating frogs... Yeah, that'll be the day.

Nowadays, I rarely experience racism, but I do hear a lot about First Nations' comments by various Chinese immigrants - usually of fear and ignorance. It's really unfortunate, because if you think about it, Chinese immigrants from building the railroad from Eastern Canada to Western Canada went through very similar treatment, and now these new immigrants are really just repeating the cycle again. [sigh]

I am Canadian, and that's that. My Canadian beer is Kokanee, and though snow can be beautiful, I hate snow, but I hate rain even more. I don't live in an igloo, but I've built one from sand before, and though we have a lot of salmon, I love tuna much more. 8]

Posted on 5 January 2007 @ 21:44 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

The special treatment you may be referring to is grossly overblown. 85% of First Nations in Canada live in third world conditions. There aren't as many Native Bands that have wealth due to oil royalties.

Did you know that from Saskatchewan to BC the land was originally promised to Natives...there is actual signed agreements that the Government went back and changed without a counsel and without consent of Natives.

Original agreements were also that the earth was to be only used to a foot in depth. Again, the Government went back on agreements as they knew they could make more money off of the land.

How do I know? I went online and in public documents to teach myself Canadian History as I got tired of the garbage that is "mainstream".

I speak often to my daughters of the injustices in Canadian History and teach what I can of their African American history as well.

We have recently began learning, together of the Canadian Japenese culture and their history in Canada.

We will move on to the Chinese history. I have a friend from highschool who has studied Chinese history and retained his degree in China. I have learnt alot from him.

History is biased, plain and simple.

Posted on 6 January 2007 @ 6:42 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Well that was what I was referring to - the "good" or "bad". There's a lot of promises the government has made but never processed and followed through. In fact, there is a large plot of land here in the city I live at (Richmond) that was used for radio-communications, but in the recent years, the government has signed off on it being used residentially and commercially with the natives taking a small cut. The details are clear as usual.

I have never been big on politics. To me, Canada's major political parties (NDP, Libs, Tories, BQ) is exactly like the 'crowds' of a high school - premature and mainly drawn to how they look in public. It's sickening really.

Posted on 6 January 2007 @ 8:1 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Oops, I meant "aren't clear as usual"... 8/

Posted on 6 January 2007 @ 8:2 (London time) - permalink

I have to disagree with you saying that something like being persecuted for red-hair is not the same as being persecuted for the colour of your skin. You can lighten skin too -- look at Michael Jackson for example. But the point I was making is why the hell should they. Anymore than a person in a wheelchair can alter themselves, even if they could why should they. It is about perspective, if you are the person persecuted then your life is the life blighted. Perspective.

Martini, I had a debate about a friend who is English but of Chinese heritage, with another friend who is Afro-Carribean (Jamaica) I think her grandparents came over her...I said she was English of Chinese Heritage she said she was Chinese. To me she was born in this country and that made her English. Is that what you are getting at?

Posted on 6 January 2007 @ 12:32 (London time) - permalink

BUT I agree with you about the N word, but thats another point. I typed it because otherwise I cannot say what it is I am talking about. Just because I used a word by way of explanation does not mean I am a racist.

Posted on 6 January 2007 @ 12:37 (London time) - permalink

I live in a small town here in Cornwall and a few years ago the word got out that the new local vicar was black. There was a lot of talk going around cos some people here are small minded and are racist even if they dont express it in what is a 'archetypal' way. I went along to church to see what would happen and the vicar told us all that Cornwall was one of the worst for racism and how would we feel if a black family moved in next door. The overwhelming answer was 'well I wouldnt feel comfortable. i mean i'm not racist but I wouldnt really like it', and 'we're not keen on a coloured vicar. we like you dont get us wrong but we're not sure about it'. Its this underlying racism that makes me so angry. I stood up and told them that they were all racist and should be ashamed to call themselves christians. The vicar wasnt here for long and thats a big shame. People are racist here even if they wont admit it. Ive experienced quite blatant racism too when the gulf war was going on cos one of my friends is from the middle east and he took some abuse because of that, spitting and name calling. It was disgusting and shameful. Just as not all black men are criminals and rap stars so not all arabs are terrorists.

Posted on 6 January 2007 @ 13:24 (London time) - permalink

I know what you are getting at. We all experience this differently depending on whereabouts in the world we come from. I have never experienced the Canadian viewpoint as I have never lived in that community -- but it doesn't mean I cannot understand it if it is explained to me properly.

Where I live on the Wirral, Uk it is predominantly a white/caucasian area. But I have a lot of interaction with people form other countries due to my job in the within the Health Sector. Like I said before if I have a problem with somebody it is with what they do not what colour/nationality/religion they are.

I pulled a nurse up a few months back and had words with her about the standard of her work. It was something that needed to be done. I told her exactly what it was that was wrong and how I expected her to put it right. Her reply was 'You are only doing this because I am black'. NOW, how in God's name am I supposed to deal with that?

I ask because I had NO problem with her as an individual at all, but what she had done was an issue. As her senior I had to sort it out or I would have been remiss in MY duty of care to my clients.....but she actually thought I was telling her off because she was of a different skin colour to me. I mean this sincerely -- how do I deal with an issue like this. it was a work related issue that was turned into a race issue and left me lost for words.

As for the black vicar incident in Cornwall -- that to me is true racism. Why object to a vicar on the colour of his skin? How narrow minded is that? They had not even met him? I suppose they would have had no problems if he was an axe murderer, as long as he was white -- sickening.

Everyone should be judged on merit not appearance.

Martini the frogs in the ditch thing -- I remember as a child there was a French family that moved close to us and that is all we ever went on about...the French kids having frogs leg sandwiches for lunch...again it is the stereotyping that all french people eat frogs legs....all the english have bad teeth,

Posted on 6 January 2007 @ 14:32 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Nikita, good ol' non-judgemental Christian's, arn't they great? :)

I don't think many white Christians even know that Jesus wasn't white nor that he spoke Aramaic and not English, heh. :)

Posted on 6 January 2007 @ 15:23 (London time) - permalink

HE WASN'T!!!

Sacasm doesn't translate well onto the computer screen does it? That was a joke for those of you who think I am totally dumb.....

Posted on 6 January 2007 @ 15:30 (London time) - permalink

Pete, you're right there. Most christians think he's got fair hair and blue eyes. he was born in the middle east for gods sake. Its crazy when you really think about it. To be honest, I dont think that racism is ever going to fully go away because there are always going to be people who hate the differences in others.

Posted on 6 January 2007 @ 16:56 (London time) - permalink

sexylinzsexylinz, posted over a year ago

is it not stereo typical to say that "most christians" beleive that jesus is white? do you have proof to back up this thoery? have you actually researched your statement????

i am a christian n i can whole heartedly say that i dont know one person who beleives that jesus is white.

tut tut

Posted on 6 January 2007 @ 17:26 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Let's look at it historically. Most paintings back in the "dark ages" the painters were commissioned by the Church...so the Church told them how to paint Jesus. Jesus was first potrayed as beardless and caucasian as was the "norm" for most paintings of it's time. They went about adopting Jesus to be more like them and therefore had exclusive rights to him and his image. Like how companies of today TM their names and symbols...NIKE, MC Donalds, COKE...

When the Shroud of Turin was introduced; that is when paintings of Jesus began to sport a goatee. Of course he doesn't have red hair and blue eyes, or blonde and blue eyed. Being he was of the bloodline King David...he was darker of hair and skin. I have a favorite picture from when I was 12...it is of Jesus and it is scary to look at but also...comforting. It is an amazing picture to look at.

It is all about education. Plain and simple.

Posted on 6 January 2007 @ 18:58 (London time) - permalink

The proof I have from my personal experiences stem from interaction with christians I have met. I wouldnt say it if I didnt find it to be true, where I live anyway. In the churches around here and in other religions, he is percieved as white. Im not being stereotypical just truthful from what Ive expereinced thats all. I think what Pete said and what I agreed with is that some people when being racist in the church forget that Jesus wasnt white, thats what I meant and I didnt mean for it to sound stereotypical;)

Posted on 6 January 2007 @ 19:4 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Sexylinz - I think when Pete was saying "Most Christians", he meant "most Christians he has met". Personally I can't say "all Christians" because that would be false, but I can say "most Christians I've met".

With that in place, I would have to say that most of the Christians I have met say they are open-minded like a couple (amongst others) of my friends, but when it came to intimate relationships, tolerance of other religions and their views, etc, they are very narrowminded - eg: they NEED their bfs/husbands to be Christian. If they were in fact open-minded, they wouldn't need their partners to be anything. That's just one example mind you.

However Sexylinz, I'm not attacking religion. I'm just saying that "most Christians I've met" are like that. The few that aren't, awesome - you being one of them, excellent. Keep up the great character. 8]

As for Willy, yes, that was what I meant. I was born here, learned French, which I retained none of it except "Non", "Oui", and "je nai se pa" [laughs], and I have retained my citizenship for the last nearly 28 years.

What makes a Chinese person is being born and possibly raised in China - hence "Chin" in "China" and "Chinese". I wouldn't be an Asian male unless I was born and raised in "Asia" hence the "Asia" in "Asian". I am Canadian because I was born in Canada, hence the "Canad" in "Canadian". I always say to those who disagree with me, "Where in Canada does it hint that I am Chinese. The most I would be is a Chinese Descendent Canadian and NOT a Canadian Born Chinese - that wouldn't make sense." If I was a Canadian Born Chinese, Canada and China would have to be under the same name and land mass under the same ideals. Fortunately, Canada is to awesome for the taint of China. I say that in bare.

Just because my parents are Chinese, doesn't make me Chinese. I am simply a Chinese Descendent. Just because I speak Cantonese and Hakka, doesn't make me Chinese. What about Caucasian people who were born in Hong Kong? What do we call them? Englishman? Well, I guess... Considered it was a British Colony. Or what if they were born in Shanghai? I would consider them Chinese because they were born there, and possibly raised there. Just as a Black Jamaican Descendent being born in Sweden, s/he would be considered Swedish and NOT Jamaican.

Posted on 6 January 2007 @ 20:28 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I've studied Christology and concentrated on looking in to the Church's attempt at marketing Jesus as caucasian and later English so that he would be more easily accepted by the west.

Also, aside of a few films such as Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" (a renound catholic traditionalist who rejects 'Vatican II'; a move away from neo-scholasticism) look at Hollywood's attempt at branding Jesus for the past 50 years. Look at the most famous Jesus film, Zefirelli's 'Jesus of Nazareth', Powell was handsome, had blonde hair and it was his astoundingly blue eyes that captivated so many millions of people. This is the Jesus people wanted to see and would identity with.

The Catholic chuch were remarkable at how they managed to spread a religion globally across so many different cultures and, Hollywood similarly, needed to market Jesus in a way that would be acceptable to its viewers, so, to me at least, it seems more logical that, after 2,000 years of such determined effort, people, white Christians in particular, are likely to see Jesus in the way they wanted him to be portrayed.

Posted on 7 January 2007 @ 14:3 (London time) - permalink

David LewisDavid Lewis, posted over a year ago

I think one of the problems with Christianity nowadays is caused by the portrayal of it on TV and other forms of media. Lets say in soap opera for instance. When a character ways, I am a Christian, you just know they are goinf to turn out to be highly religios or even a complete nut.

As what martini was saying regarding being Chinese. I have never thought of it quite like that. My mother is English, but has Chinese descendancy. My father was an American.

As for racism, I suppose not all racism is bad. I would consider the phrase "I have no problem with black guys" to be slightly racist, as it still heavily leans on the subject of the colour difference. To say black athletes are superior to white athletes could be considered racist.

I have many friends of different race and religion, all very valuable friends to me. I have never even thought about the race difference. To me, its as straightforward as being Pete and Kevin, not my Chinese mate and my black mate.

Posted on 7 January 2007 @ 17:37 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Yeah I agree about the media, especially soap operas. Richard Dawkin's new book that seems to be promoted by the media has him painting a picture that anyone who is religious has had their DNA contaminated by some kind of virus, well it seemed to amount to something along those lines.

People generally who are religious are seen as a bit "weird". Which is a little ironic, all but a few of the first scientists (Copernicus, Einstein) were never using scientific enquiry to disprove the possibility of God. Yet, the split ever since has widened between faith (in a God) and science. e.g. "I don't believe in God - I believe in science" it's as if the two are opposites.

I think the athetic thing is a little more tricky as if you could genetically show that black athletes had more dominant genes responsible for physical performance then you could say the phrase? But perhaps evolution had it that if a select race of people endured slavery the result through natural selection would be there would be more dominant genes to endure physical hardship?

If whites reproduce with asian or blacks their offspring are far less likely to suffer from the degenerative illnesses that white people seem to be suffering and dying from.

Perhaps this is natures subtle way to say white people are too imbred?

I HATE political correctness though and how scared people are of offending "minorities" I always have the funniest jokes and conversations about political correctness gone crazy with non-white friends, we love observing the irony, sterotyping and generalising in life.

I dunno, I think America seems to have a much bigger black / white problem than the UK does.

Our problem seems to be more with the growth of Islam in our country, mosques being constructed in every town and islam-faith schools rising to be the best performers. People on one hand speak about multiculturalism but on the other they fear a foreign culture is infiltrating their way of life. We also have problems like our ever increasing European neighbours who come from the eatern reaches of our great european union.

Solution, we need to get Sky/Cable TV in every home in every country. I'm being serious. :)

Posted on 7 January 2007 @ 19:49 (London time) - permalink

I am going to throw another into the mix here. What about white slavery it happened and it is still happening. Look at the eastern block countries and the girls being used form there in this country.

**Discuss**

Posted on 8 January 2007 @ 16:31 (London time) - permalink

It's slavery but not racial in nature. That is no less evil but it's not based on hate of a race. Some people are misguided and rotten. Some are just rotten. Many cases of ethnic racism is generational.

I live in a typical Canadian urban area of about 250,000 people. We have people from all over the world, different clothing, religion etc. My wife is latin, from the caribbean. My kids are accustomed to being with the white side of the family and the hispanic side of the family. They notice nothing. I notice, although not in a negative way. I'm 43 and in my day, most people around here were white. Whites are still the majority but the minority population has risen. WE have great ethnic festivals here every spring.

My point is this, my kids have grown up with a very diverse population and I don't think they will ever be racist. They are open minded.

Posted on 8 January 2007 @ 22:15 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Like any group, gang, organization...they are a select group of people who have common goals. We can identify ourselves to one group over another easily.

We often do this as that "animal" instict of safety in numbers of the herd. It is also a way of deriving comfort by belonging. We all want to belong.

This is where our teaching in our youth, be it directly or indirectly by forces other than home, parents will factor greatly and may win out after years of tring on the different statuses and rewards of belonging to a group. Other influences are: TV/Media, school, church, soccer/sports or recreational activities...and it also will vary on where we live and who else makes up that community.

Most attitudes we adopt are by those who we feel influence us greatly...not in the sense of inspiration but by appeal. So youth...tend to want to belong to a select clique and will go to great gains to get recognition of being apart of that group.

I've read an intersting article on this and will post the address when I find it. *wink*

Not all have this desire; some disassociate themselves all together as it can be very unappealing or in violation of the individuals own set of values, goals, standards, principles. These types of people have more in common with leadership oriented people in that ...often there is a loneliness in being a leader.

Open minded is great trait to aspire to own and like most things...isn't something we can do 100% of our time. Make sure you leave room for error.

There are places on this Earth where racism is an everday battle for survival and we should be thankful that we can be aware and teach and guide by example or word and deed on how to let go of old and very limiting views.

That whole...if we can separate ourselves from these people, and associate that they are lesser...it makes it easier to commit henious crimes against such people...and we stand to gain...really needs to be erradicated.

Let's tell our Government about this! Maybe war can completely stop then.

Posted on 8 January 2007 @ 22:42 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Good point WW.

And also, Africans were enslaving their own people long before the Europeans came over and showed the world how to do it properly. If your going to enslave humans, you might as well do it to build an empire rather than buy a few extra cows for your village.

And, look at hatred between for example, Indians and Pakistanis. They are far more racist towards each other than white / black racism. There is also the caste system, religious and tribal wars that still go on to this day.

White (western) culture has come a long way in a few generatioins, we've embraced capitalism and are far more materialist and care more about wealth whereas non-western cultures are still rooted in skin colour, family status, caste, religion. We complain at the materialistic culture we've created but we have moved on from so much worse, I think.

Maybe Rupert Murdoch is our one true God and saviour to mankind?

Posted on 9 January 2007 @ 10:29 (London time) - permalink

Pete you just KNOW that your comments are gonna get a reaction from somebody!! Not that I am saying they are wrong -- I have read a lot about the slavery in Algeirs and Tunis -- not all the romantic crap either. There is a guy called Robert C Davis and he has written an exceptionally good book noting that whilst black slavery is a widely studied part of history the phenomenon of white slavery has largely been ignored by historians. Why is this?

Can't remember the name of the book, but will post it when I find it in my book strewn house....

Liverpool accounted for 40% approx of the slave trade coming through the Uk at the time and many of it's building where funded with slave money. Why did they choose Africa, because the slave trade already exsisted there! They had a ready source of people when they docked, who they traded for guns and other goods. They then took these people to the america's and swapped they for the coffee and sugar that they brought back to England. The trading triangle. But the point I am making is black slavery and the 'oppression' of blacks was already commonplace in their countries anyhow by their 'own' people. It is historical fact. The traders where taking advantage of something that exsisted.

I live near Liverpool which anybody who knows English culture and history will know played a part in the black slave trade. But there is forever an argument going on about whether we as a city should apologise for our part in this piece of history. But taking what happened out of the social context and apologising for it hundreds of years later doesn't sit right with me, but that is just my opinion. Liverpool is a multi-cultural city, look at my own heritage for example. Bonastre Tarleton, MP for Liverpool, started a debate in parliament which was challenged by William Wilberforce and William Roscoe that led to the abolition of slavery. We need to accept that things happened in the past and move on. If these things happened within a person's lifetime (for example the Japanese prisoners of war wanting an apology from the Japanese government) all well and good, but to apologise for something we had no hand in smacks of pacification.

Slavery is and was an abbysmal practice which destroyed lives and cultures across different races. We need to move on from it and accept it happened.

Posted on 9 January 2007 @ 14:20 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

That's a really interesting post WW, I agree with it all, especially about the past being the past. I think the best way the government can "apologise" is to ensure black people, ethnic minorites, etc, are given the same level of education and opportunities in life - looking to the future rather than the past, like you say.

Posted on 9 January 2007 @ 16:5 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.140595000000758!