New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084399 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > Writing an article

Go to latest mesage in thread

Writing an article

RubyBirtle, posted over a year ago

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question or not but I need the opinions of some of the regulars from the site so here goes....

I'm thinking of writing a couple of articles for the site and want to ask whether it is appropriate to reference (or provide links) to other questions posted on this site to use them as examples.

If, for example, I was writing an article called "Nice Guys vs Bad Boys", would it be proper to reference a post from a poster who demonstrates "Nice Guy" qualities or a girl who found herself going out with such a guy.

Would this be embarrassing to the original question-asker, even the anonymous ones? Would it be better to only reference posts from the archives using anonymous posts dating back 5 years.

I find citing example is a really good way of helping people put things in context but I don't want to embarrass anybody.

Thanks for your thoughts

Ruby

Posted on 22 January 2016 @ 14:50 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

AbellaAbella, posted over a year ago

Hi Ruby

When I thought up the idea of collating some of the really great articles on this site into one compilation.

Here is the compilation:

http://www.dearcupid.org/question/22--great-articles-from-great-aunts-and.html

I did it for these reasons:

1. I often wanted to quote a great article or post and acknowledge it as being a contribution from a particular Aunt or Uncle when I was writing a response to another OP.

And so often I could not find the article I was looking for as there is no central data base of all the articles.

2. When I chose the articles I made every effort to contact the writer of the original article, asking the original OP if they would object to seeing their article in the compilation.

I did receive replies, there were no refusals, but no response from some. The reason for no response was that some appeared to be inactive but if they do reactivate their accounts they will find my message in their inbox.

3.I also saw the article as a positive way to promote some very good articles and advice published earlier on the DearCupid.org site, and still entirely relevant today.

4. In the original Top 22 articles in the ehe

I made a conscious decision to not promote any of my own articles as I always know where to find them.

So that is why I created this compilation of Great articles.

http://www.dearcupid.org/question/answer-number-1200000-has-been-posted-achievements-on.html

It has become my own virtual filing cabinet for articles - I can find them when I want a particular article.

Thus if you want to create a compilation in the same way I think that could help assemble a range of really good advice on a particular subject.

That said I think every question is unique and every answer is unique.

Thus a compilation in no way detracts but instead adds and celebrates some of the great advice published every day on this site 24/7 and 365 days a year and it is all Free.

And amazing contribution of wisdom, commonsense, honesty, and kindness over the years.

Posted on 24 January 2016 @ 5:5 (London time) - permalink

AbellaAbella, posted over a year ago

hi Ruby

DearCupid is a public site.

even today if i google dearcupid.org and the words "bad boys" I will find articles and questions that were published earlier.

here is one:

http://www.dearcupid.org/question/why-do-women-like-bad-boys-because-they.html

that is from 2009

so the posts are already out there. but not as easy to find if a person just happens upon the site today for the first time.

So I don't think you need to confine yourself to just the anonymous ones.

What I found was the difficult part was choosing the best ones - there were no many really good ones.

Even my article title had to be changed - it was going to be 20 great articles.

And since then it has grown into far more articles than the original 22.

hope that helps?

regards

Abella

Posted on 24 January 2016 @ 5:35 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.124984399997629!