New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084400 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > Hi

Go to latest mesage in thread

Hi

flower girlflower girl, posted over a year ago

I would just like to say, this site is supposed to be for people with problems, trying to get some advice.

I'm finding more and more everyday that some people usually the anonymous ones are tending to bad mouth, rather than give helpful information and advice.

Ok some of the people that write in have done things that we don't agree with but would it not be better to just not comment instead of being really rude?

Take care everyone.xx.

Posted on 8 July 2007 @ 0:33 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

, posted over a year ago

I totally agree, but that's how some people are. What can we do? [ponders thoughtfully]

Posted on 8 July 2007 @ 3:26 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I agree.

I think the moderating standard has got much poorer this year and reading harsh answers does put me off using this website.

I think another problem is that the bigger the site gets, the more idiots it attracts.

Moderators need to be more careful about approving answers, it quiet clearly states what should and shouldn't be approved at the top of the screen in bright yellow.

People don't come on here to be judged, they come on here for help. People are great at judging and criticising themselves, they don't need some thoughtless anonymous person putting themselves on a moral high-ground just so they can feel better about themselves.

Posted on 8 July 2007 @ 9:14 (London time) - permalink

DearCupidDearCupid, posted over a year ago

Hi

I also agree with this. As we get more moderators on the site, there will be variation in quality.

I'm working on software solutions to this.

First one is, longer-time users can now vote answers off the site. This is already in place and working. If you see an answer you don't think is appropriate, do vote for it to be removed. Once a couple of folks have voted this way, the answer is automatically removed.

Secondly, I'm going to add more visibility within the moderator section to show what %age of answers mods are rejecting - my guess is that some are rejecting hardly anything and not reading the answers properly.

The mod section will soon show how many answers have been voted off the site, by moderator... so we can see how good their quality is by that metric also.

What I would say is... please keep the feedback coming. As the site grows, we will experience growing pains. It is inevitable. Over the past month we had almost 200,000 people visit the site. Yes, you read the right: two hundred thousand people!

We can either shrug our shoulders and complain about how the site isn't like it was when we had 10,000 people visiting a month... or if you keep the feedback coming, I can create solutions to all the problems we have.

So, PLEASE keep the feedback coming.

Thanks as always to everyone who contributes here!

Andrew

Posted on 8 July 2007 @ 10:28 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Great stuff Andrew!

I think the voting enhancement will work well, maybe in combination with that direct entry for instant answer removal for moderators.

There is one minor thing I think would make it even quicker and that is for it to "count" the vote without it bringing up a new browser window. Instead could it be like where you click on a rating and it updates without loading up a new URL? That would be way cool :)

Amazing that the site got 200,000 visits!! :)

Posted on 8 July 2007 @ 10:42 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Have you thought of something like at SpikedHumor and Digg where comments/answers can be buried by negative votes, but 'reopened' by clicking on a link "Read Comment"? I guess that would cause a huge load on the server?

BTW, in the mod section, for editing questions, where would you think to put a question that relate to pet deaths and getting over them, or should we just deny those questions and redirect them to the forum?

Posted on 8 July 2007 @ 10:55 (London time) - permalink

flower girlflower girl, posted over a year ago

I'm glad to see that it is not just me that feels this way, thanks andrew for your acknowledgement on this point and i'm pleased that something is being done about it.

Take care.xx.

Posted on 8 July 2007 @ 11:7 (London time) - permalink

Dr. Pete: I've changed the vote function to use the ajax-y stuff just now, so no new page load required.

I'm also still looking at a direct link to answer edit.

Posted on 8 July 2007 @ 11:14 (London time) - permalink

Martini

Pet deaths... I've no problem with a question like that appearing on the site. Maybe I need a new category, bereavements because there are often questions about that. Stick under big questions or something if it doesn't fit.

We don't get enough ratings (yet) to make a digg/slashdot style bury system work but I'm constantly evaluating this kind of thing so keep letting me know your thoughts.

Thanks everyone!

Andrew

Posted on 8 July 2007 @ 11:16 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Ajax rocks :P

Great Andrew, and I think "Bereavement" would be a good addition to the categories :)

Posted on 8 July 2007 @ 11:20 (London time) - permalink

eddieeddie, posted over a year ago

Maybe it should be mentioned that many people send in really vague questions, leaving out important background information. I guess it is very important not to be too tough on people, we never really know the entire story or their mental state, but you have to admit, some folks admit to some really rotten deeds. They also look for justification for what they've done.

If someone shows remorse, that is what helps me to determine what tone to take. If someone indicates they're selfish and have no plan to try and do the right thing, then sometimes they need to hear a more blunt reply.

Posted on 8 July 2007 @ 15:1 (London time) - permalink

Eddie - absolutely, we need to be balanced.

Andrew

Posted on 8 July 2007 @ 17:34 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Another idea, I notice a lot of medical questions come up and perhaps it would be responsible for the website to have a disclaimer, perhaps a check box right next to the "post the question" button?

I don't know about the law in the US, but I came back from a course recently regarding welfare of care and in the UK if an individual or organisation hold themselves up as being in a position of authority or source of information then they can legally be accountable for the welfare of any person who acts or doesn't act on that information.

So how about something along the lines of:

"If you are submitting a question regarding a medical matter then you are advised to seek professional advice from your GP or health care provider."

And maybe a general disclaimer somewhere in it like:

"Dearcupid.org does not guarantee that any material submitted are professionally accurate or a source of information in which you should necessarily follow. Any material submitted on this website is to regarded as an informal opinion from the website contributor as an individual who do not write within the capacity of an expert. Consequently the website's administrator and its contributors can not be held liable for any incidents that may happen based on actions that you may or may not take from the advice you read. If in doubt, you should always seek professional help from an appropriate individual or organisation regarding any problem that you may have."

?

Posted on 9 July 2007 @ 12:33 (London time) - permalink

Pete good idea and good reminder it has been on my list to add a disclaimer since day 0!

Thanks

Andrew

Posted on 9 July 2007 @ 17:26 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.140658999996958!