New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084399 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > Question / Answer Approvals

Go to latest mesage in thread

Question / Answer Approvals

stinastina, posted over a year ago

Okay - I feel like I always bring this up, but I think we moderators need to look at questions and answers more carefully before posting them.

The main reason I'm bringing this up again is because I just found an approved question on the main site where a 13 year old talked about giving up on life and killing herself. (I edited the question so it no longer says this.)

I'm sure you all agree that spelling is one thing, but posting a question about a preteen wanting to commit suicide is completely different.

Posted on 25 May 2007 @ 14:26 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

DearCupidDearCupid, posted over a year ago

Stina is right... any questions that are anything to do with suicide and or self harm should be rejected with code SUICIDE

Thanks

Andrew

Posted on 25 May 2007 @ 15:40 (London time) - permalink

Jenny WrenJenny Wren, posted over a year ago

Hi, I'm relatively new to this site and am interested in how it is run. If someone is suicidal or self harming, does their question go on the site re-worded (in which case how can we answer it without knowing the full story?), or, does the question not get posted, in which case, is the person directed elsewhere to get help?

I would hate to think that someone is not getting help when they have asked...

Very interesting site by the way.

Jenny Wren

Posted on 1 June 2007 @ 1:2 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

No, all suicidal type of comments and threads get disapproved. This site deals with volunteery relationship-type of help and do not deal with professional psychiatricts which suicidal individuals tend to require. It would not be right of us to be a deciding factor in their vulnerable mentalities which may lead them to kill themselves.

Posted on 1 June 2007 @ 4:16 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

No.. Jenny, the site moderators should not be approving any questions or doing any type of 'rewording' that mentions the words 'suicide or self-harm'. The agony aunts do not have the professional qualifications on this site, to help people with this type of serious life problems and issues. We do however, tell them that "the site cannot help with questions about self-harm or suicide...we would advise these people to see their doctor or a professional counsellor".

Posted on 1 June 2007 @ 5:26 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Martini! lol Sorry! I just basically 'repeated' what you said. I didn't see your answer?! Where are my damned glasses?? :D

Posted on 1 June 2007 @ 5:32 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Self harm via mutulation or cutting is no way similar to suicides or suicidal tendancies. If a person is committed to suicide; they will do it regardless. Most Therapists are aware of this and again, Therapy will be assigned should a person who attempted suicide be admitted at the hospital.

Self harm, cutting, burning or any other body mutulations are coping mechanisms which is deemed unhealthy but when it is about survivial-cutting keeps them "sane", real, alive, can be calming and has the effects of a drug like high. Most dissassociatives have the urge/instinct to cut or self harm as well as may also suffer from eating disorders, drug/alcohol addictions, sexual promiscuity.

I just had to say that they ARE DIFFERENT types of issues.

Maly Out.

Posted on 4 June 2007 @ 22:3 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

This is bothering me.

When someone, especially a youth shares their feelings of lacking self worth, feeling like giving up-there are times when we all may have felt despair and felt like giving up but who did we turn to for comfort, guidance, help?

Not everyone has this and being a youth is a most difficult time in one's life and when you do not feel validated, that there is someone who you can rely and trust in-who do you have?

That someone is in need and reaching out, perhaps we are not qualified but if we met such an individual on the street would we turn the other way?

Is there a way that a message can be sent back to the individual that has suicide/distress line numbers or local clinics attached with the advice to please call the numbers and ask for help?

Most times, just having someone listen so they can unburden themselves is all it could take.

I'd be willing to research numbers or better yet, can we all pool together our resources and send them to someone who would be willing to organize if for Andrew?

I'm more than willing to lend my time to this matter.

Maly.

Posted on 4 June 2007 @ 22:12 (London time) - permalink

DearCupidDearCupid, posted over a year ago

Hi Malyce

We ask people in these situations to contact a professional counsellor or their doctor. My worry is that we have people from scores of countries using the site and to try and list phone numbers for each one, keep them up to date etc. is pretty work-intensive especially when google is one step away and will likely give better local results

But, I do appreciate your concern!

Andrew

Posted on 4 June 2007 @ 23:2 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Alright so a generic message with search engine site is at least given...I mean so long as some tools are given for the person(s) to work with, I can have peace of mind. *wink*

Maly

Posted on 4 June 2007 @ 23:31 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.125034199998481!