New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084400 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > whois anonymous

Go to latest mesage in thread

whois anonymous

nologonologo, posted over a year ago

This site is riveting, boys and girls.

But why we have so many anonymous answers.

Is it a fair policy for registered users?

Posted on 14 May 2007 @ 7:3 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

dragonettedragonette, posted over a year ago

Why do you think it's unfair?

The names that we use is also a form of anonymity, it's not like we sign our advice with our real names.

By the way, you can post as anonymous even if you're a registered user.

Posted on 14 May 2007 @ 10:20 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I think the amount of anonymous postings impacts the quality of the questions and the answers. When an account isn't associated with an identity people put less care in to what they write because their is no accountability.

Posted on 14 May 2007 @ 11:45 (London time) - permalink

dragonettedragonette, posted over a year ago

Maybe disabling anonymous posting for certain questions might be a way to go. Do we have any statistics on how many published answers are made by anonymous? Do we make a difference between people who post anonymously even though they have an account and those that post anonymously without account?

Posted on 14 May 2007 @ 12:4 (London time) - permalink

WendygWendyg, posted over a year ago

My argument on this one is that why should it matter ? If someone is in need of help then they are in need of help. If they choose to post anon its up to them... I know there are agony aunts on here that are very well statued on here that would post a question anon... Why is there this pretense...

No one on here actually knows who anybody is... it doesnt make the question or the answer any less valid. When I am moderating and i see someone abusing the site by posting a stupid answer or question then i simply dont approve and it doesnt get published. Obviously you get those that just post random questions or answers, (many rude or a abusive) you will get that even if they do have an account... there have been a number of postings that i have had removed from a person that had a valid account.

So why does it mean that a person has to have an account if they are posting a question or indeed answering a question ? If you write in to any other agony forum, be it the net or a paper or magazine then no one knows who those people are do they!

There are inssesent posters that post anon on the question section some of which you will tell straight away are not genuine so those questions rarely get published, from a moderating point of view its easy to spot the offenders as the IP is generally the same, so if you see a recurring IP address then it can be flagged up. But not all anon postings are like that, in fact there are more genuine anon posters than most on here realise.

Posted on 14 May 2007 @ 14:25 (London time) - permalink

DearCupidDearCupid, posted over a year ago

Just to answer one question - All anonymous posts go through the moderation process whether by accounts-but-anonymous or unregistered-but-anonymous, even if posts from the user don't usually require approval.

Andrew

Posted on 14 May 2007 @ 14:36 (London time) - permalink

DearCupidDearCupid, posted over a year ago

My view is that anonymous answers and questions are here to stay for now... Sometimes I see superb answers from non-registered people clearly just "passing by" the site. If we forced registration we would lose their input.

Stats for yesterday's 240 answers

49 non-registered answers (37 approved)

12 registered but anon (12 approved) [not this was lower than normal - usually around 30]

179 registered with name (168 approved, 89 automatically)

Andrew

Andrew

Posted on 14 May 2007 @ 18:49 (London time) - permalink

SexybumSexybum, posted over a year ago

In my experience the anonomous answerring system should absolutely stay... It;s probably a tool that draws many people to the website, they don't have to reveal anything about themselves to participate.

I'm registered but sometimes have thought about answerring a question anonomously because I would prefer for the 'community' on dear cupid not to know that personal bussiness.

If someone has the experience to answer a question but is sensitive to other people knowing that they have that experince the anonomous answerring is BRILLIANT

Posted on 17 May 2007 @ 21:50 (London time) - permalink

nologonologo, posted over a year ago

I will do what is best for the site - anyway.

Thanks Sexybum for explaining the role of Community.

Posted on 20 May 2007 @ 10:26 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.140521699999226!