New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084400 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > Site issues

Go to latest mesage in thread

Site issues

Universe Man, posted over a year ago

In recent days, I've had two comments apparently not pass muster with the moderators, as they seemed to never show up. Both of these comments were on-topic and free of incendiary language, but both might be considered harsh by a particularly sensitive individual. This is disturbing to me.

The official site policy is that if a message doesn't pass moderation, it is "Usually only because they are so badly written we have no idea what's going on!" Is this still the policy? If not, could you please update the written policy? I stopped going to Huffington Post because the moderators were extraordinarily prejudiced against comments based on standards that were undocumented and arbitrary. If this site is going the way of that one, I will not waste any more time thinking about and typing out comments just for them to never see the light of day. Thank you.

Posted on 14 February 2011 @ 21:16 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

, posted over a year ago

I'm a mod and from what i recall, answers that are insulting to the OP, are in "text" speak e.g. lyk dis, answers that will cause distress etc... answers that are just plain unhelpful, answers written all in CAPS, i can't remember all the policies but will have a look and post again.

Posted on 14 February 2011 @ 21:32 (London time) - permalink

C. GrantC. Grant, posted over a year ago

Here's the link to the policy:

http://www.dearcupid.org/pages/answer-guidelines.html

Posted on 14 February 2011 @ 21:35 (London time) - permalink

C. GrantC. Grant, posted over a year ago

BTW, lately the site hasn't been processing posts quite as quickly as we'd like, I think due to higher volumes. Just now the oldest answer in the queue is a little over two hours; I see you have one pending that's near the top.

Moderators are looking out for answers that they think won't be helpful to the original poster, whether too harsh, critical without being constructive, etc. By and large mods recognize when they have a personal bias and leave that post for some other mod to look at. There is no explicit agenda to allow only one point of view; imposing that sort of uniformity, even inadvertently, would make the site less useful and would discourage valued contributors.

Posted on 14 February 2011 @ 21:56 (London time) - permalink

Universe Man, posted over a year ago

Aha. The post that prompted me to complain did, in fact, go through. Just took longer than usual. An earlier, less thoughtful one, did not. Oh well. Thanks.

Posted on 14 February 2011 @ 23:29 (London time) - permalink

dirtballdirtball, posted over a year ago

Another thing to keep in mind is that mods have to read everything, even the garbage posts. This can really take some time as not everyone likes to use punctuation, paragraphs, or even proper words. They are also volunteers, so there are some days where everyone is simply too busy.

I'm glad your post showed up.

Posted on 15 February 2011 @ 3:24 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.156247200000507!