New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084400 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > Ratings

Go to latest mesage in thread

Ratings

DearCupidDearCupid, posted over a year ago

Hi everyone

Some of the ratings for people look a little screwy. If you think yours is "off" either post here or Private Mail me and I'll look into it.

I am constantly improving the ratings algorithm to ensure that various methods of cheating do not affect the result... i.e. multiple votes, voting yourself up, trashing someone's rating etc.

Andrew.

Posted on 20 May 2006 @ 15:17 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

, posted over a year ago

Not at all, Andrew--I feel you've done a fine job on the improvements you have made. I do think some of us are quite indifferent and impervious as to where we sit in the 'ratings'. I really do think it's just a matter of fully understanding why we answer these postings, in the first place. Is it for high ratings or to actually 'help' people gain a better life perspective on their diemmas and problems? Does it really matter if you are in the 'top 10' or 'bottom 10'? I think not. To some, perhaps it does. Just a thought and it would be interesting to hear what others have to say about the 'rating' system.

Posted on 27 May 2006 @ 21:54 (London time) - permalink

WendygWendyg, posted over a year ago

I guess in some cases the rating system allows new people to the site to see who is most favoured and who seems to give the best advice. But we all see things differently, and you only have to read a few answers to see who you actually would like to take advice from. I think its all about different view points. I guess we all like to think we are the best at what we advise, but we cant be everyones cup of tea. As long as we are helping people along the way then I dont think that were we stand in the ratings is that bigger deal. I agree with Irish that it shouldnt matter if you are top 10 or bottom 10, the advice we give is independant and some people like it some people dont, its all about actually helping the individual, and if I can help at least one person in what I say then its all worth it. The thanks I sometimes recieve is I guess why I do it, it shows that I am helping someone, making a difference to them, and by what I write I have helped them to see more clearly. I get the odd thank you, which means more to me than how high I come in the rates as I actually do feel then that I have helped someone.

Posted on 28 May 2006 @ 16:13 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but one of the aunts DC-mailed me about her ratings going down every time I post a new message in the same thread she posted on. I think this is just a coincidence, but... 8]

Posted on 29 May 2006 @ 21:50 (London time) - permalink

DearCupidDearCupid, posted over a year ago

Just a co-incidence martini :-)

Ratings are only recorded when the ratings links are clicked on... and then they are calculated once/day with all sorts of jiggery-pokery to try and stop people gaming the system.

For fun I'll post the unadulterated top-10 sometime - totally different from when all the sneakiness is removed!

A

Posted on 29 May 2006 @ 22:47 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.125000699998054!