New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244987 questions, 1084408 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Sex talk > Sex Education.

Go to latest mesage in thread

Sex Education.

YummyMummyYummyMummy, posted over a year ago

I'm not one to judge others on their choices or their actions but being on this site almost every day and reading a lot of questions I think people should go back and do sex education at school.

I thought I learnt quite a bit at school about sex, protection, sti's etc but it seems that people haven't had the same or just haven't listened.

It concerns me the amount of people posting questions on here don't know that pre cum can get you pregnant, and also that a guy pulling out doesn't risk pregnancy. With teenage pregnancies and STIs on the increse is nobody else a little concerned?

I am also shocked that it is not just teenagers who post these questions.

Posted on 29 June 2007 @ 0:45 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

, posted over a year ago

i totally agree with you 100% with everything that you had wrote. i am also, shocked at the fact that a 30-40 year old male who had posted a question on here asking where to buy condoms. like wow! totally wow! makes me think.. is he being for reals? i'm glad you posted this yummymummy.

Posted on 29 June 2007 @ 3:42 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Hi YummieMummy,

I don't think it is the fault of the ignorant people but the very institutions that are supposed to be teaching sex education in schools.

I agree with you, it is shocking how ignorant many people are. However, we need to look at why sexual health has so little priority in a students curriculum. Britain has the *highest* teenage pregnancy rate in Europe and that is quite alarming.

It isn't just physical health, either. Young people have no emotional education about how to deal with intimate relationships. Whilst they may get a very, very basic sex education, they are not prepared to deal with the incredibly painful and difficult experiences they will go through and choices they have to make when they start to become sexually or romantically involved with other people.

I think the schools are really behind in providing this kind of education and that is the key to better equipping young people will the resources they need to make more informed and safe decisions. Right now emotional intelligence is developed solely by parents and sadly some parents either do not have the emotional intelligence themselves, or they do not know how important it is to teach to their children. Schools need to appreciate how these kind of skills are absolutely necessary to equip young people to grow up successfully in this modern world.

Posted on 29 June 2007 @ 8:54 (London time) - permalink

I agree Pete. I don't blame the kids/teenagers as they only know what they are taught. I was just so shocked yesterday. Shocked with the amount of times I wrote the same answer to the same questions.

Something needs doing here about teens pregnancies- not shaming the girls who become young mothers but educating them properly. A girl I went to school with is 22 with 5 kids. She's a great mother but you can see she feels she's wrecked her life.

I watched a show at 2am last night called L8r on bbc2 about a group of friends and this show tackled some of the teen problems you see on here and also had kids vote on certain problems. One question was about a teen couple who'd had a baby and the questions were- Who should look after the baby? The Mum or Dad. Should the Mum or Dad give up their education? Both questions had a high percentage say the mum. And some of the other questions were even more shocking.

It's just like kids who think its ok to walk around with a knife and stab each other. 3 stabbings in 4 days here in London all teens. A girl last week was stabbed not far from where I am over a boy.

Being pregnant myself it makes me wonder what kind of world I'm bringing my child in to and can I prevent them from getting in to the gang culture that seems to be sweeping this country.

I think teens see sex as something that makes them grown up, not as something that people who care about each other should share. There is obviously no concern about STIs and Aids as they are constantly on the increase here. My friends who had kids at school saw them as a fashion accessory and a way to get out of school and claim benefits. It was kind of a slap in the face once the baby came along.

Ian's girl in Eastenders was given one of those dolls who cry and act like a real baby. I think all schools should do that. Maybe give them a better insight in to what they are getting themselves in to when having unprotected sex.

Posted on 29 June 2007 @ 15:32 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I just have to say that the first responsibility lies on the parents. It's so easy for anyone to attack and assign fault on the school systems but it is really the parents responsibility to teach, instruct their children in all matters of life and the world- to educate them and give them the tools to live in the world and to do it successfully.

In teenage pregnancy, the young woman is the one left with the full burden of raising the children while the young man is off free to squander his time.

It is amazing that the old, you are to marry her was deemed an unfair route to continue teaching youth as with such consequences of actions-both the young man and woman would think longer and harder. The old ways, after not engaging in sex until marriage, would prevent alot of today's issues concerning underage sex and teenage pregnancies.

Again, all this can be prevented with more parents accepting their role as the first and foremost influence and power in their child's lives.

Because so many parents fail their children in this regards, I feel the school systems are unfairly expected to take on the role of mentors and educators when it comes to sexual matters.

Parents, teachers, and family doctors need to get together and come up with a common solution as well as work together to target this growing epidemic.

Posted on 29 June 2007 @ 17:59 (London time) - permalink

Jamer70Jamer70, posted over a year ago

I think at times people but the pressure on the other hand.

At my primary school i remember the headteacher getting in trouble 'cus she wanted to teach sexual education. It split the school in half. Some saying the dont want it, Some saying we are to young, Some saying they wanted to do it and others saying yes. In the end it never happened and kids lost out. As for secondary school i went to a catholic school so they couldnt say nothing about condoms or the pill so all these kids are losing out as the parents are expected to, do the parents know? Doubt it?

Mine didnt but she told me regardless(very akward conversation) but you wonder how the other 1199 kids know.

As for mums/dads this is a little close to home for me(not me exactly) but its society who i blame for this. Also the lazieness of some men. As a society we encourage equal marriage, but at dirvoce the woman get responsibilty in most cases and fathers for justice showed this. We still hold tudor views of marriage and this is where i believe it come from. Marriage has always been a 2 party system. But lately raising a family isnt

Posted on 29 June 2007 @ 18:15 (London time) - permalink

I suppose it can be down to parents aswell. I remember learning the basics at school and my mum teaching me about periods but I can't really remember where I got the common sense about stis and pregnancy.

I'm still dumb struck by the lack of common sense of some of the issues but then again I have "Gemma" moments. I'm not blonde so can't claim it's one of those.

Posted on 3 July 2007 @ 12:9 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.124955999999656!