New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084399 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Cupid's Lounge > * War Protest in DC on Jan 27th! *

Go to latest mesage in thread

* War Protest in DC on Jan 27th! *

stinastina, posted over a year ago

I'm *so* going to be there. Is anyone else going? :)

----------------

MARCH ON WASHINGTON TO END THE WAR!

1. Bring the U.S. troops home now.

2. Iraqi sovereignty must be reestablished immediately.

3. The Iraqi people, not foreigners, should make the decisions about the future of their country, including security. Iraqis should decide the structure of their economy and control Iraq's reconstruction. The corporate invasion of Iraq must be ended and the privatizations laws passed under the occupation repealed. Labor and human rights should also be guaranteed.

4. The United States should pay for the reconstruction of and reparations to Iraq, in accordance with international law.

5. The United Nations and other international organizations should refuse to endorse or collaborate with the U.S. occupation of Iraq. But once the U.S. ends its occupation, if representative sectors of Iraqi society invite it, the UN, backed by other international bodies such as the Arab League and the Organization of the Islamic Conference, should help the Iraqis establish mechanisms through which to choose their own leaders and reclaim sovereign control of their own country.

***Info***

Saturday, January 27

Assemble 11:00AM on the Mall between 3rd and 7th Streets

Rally 11:00AM-1:00PM

March kicks off at 1:00PM

*** More info: http://www.unitedforpeace.org/ ***

Posted on 22 January 2007 @ 21:10 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

NikitaNikita, posted over a year ago

Wish I could be there but I'm three thousand miles away. I'll be there in spirit though;)

Posted on 23 January 2007 @ 9:58 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Wow I'd love to go to a protest in the US, the ones in the UK get so boring :)

I am thinking of staying in Washington DC next month, I would have loved to have gone to this!

Posted on 23 January 2007 @ 12:35 (London time) - permalink

Aww, well even though you guys can't make it, at least you support ending the war :) The last one that I went to was great! There were thousands of people lining the streets of DC, marching past the White House (of course, Bush *had* to leave the city for an "important" meeting). It was funny because the next weekend there was a "pro-war" rally - the news said 500 people showed up. lol I wish we had a president that actually listened to the people (or had some sort of common sense, could form coherent sentences, etc, etc)...

Pete - you're coming to DC? Do you know people over here that you're staying with? It seems like you have friends everywhere!

Posted on 23 January 2007 @ 13:15 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Mrs Stina, I was thinking of coming over for about three weeks, I don't know anyone in DC but I have friends in New Jersey and New York, I was going to get a furnished apartment in the city. I so want to visit your capital though, and your country is fantastic for road trips I love the American culture :) I was thinking of doing the whole "hello I'm from England I love your country" speech when I'm there and seeing if I can make any random American friends. I have international friendships from my raving days mainly, I met so many people who travelled to the UK to party :)

I was at the huge anti-war demonstration in 2003 - the one where about 1 - 2 million people turned out and the government completely ignored it (big reason for why Blair lost his support) but it was good to be part of the cause. I personally think western countries are the cause of nearly all conflict in this world, we have a responsibility to all countries to bring peace (and democracy and the American way, haha)

I love your president, he's such a dumbass, he always makes me laugh. Not being able to form coherent sentences is something that makes him so endearing :)

It was absolutely amazing though to see the tide is finally changing with your governments stance on the whole war thing; that's how the British media is portraying it any way!

Posted on 23 January 2007 @ 22:42 (London time) - permalink

You were going to get a furnished apartment in the city? Wait - in DC, or is the furnished apartment in the city your friends' place? lol I think I *should* understand what you wrote, but apparently my brain isn't working up to par today from lack of sleep (i almost fell asleep during a meeting!! eek! embarassing!!)

"Hello I'm from England and I love your country" speech haha :) And wow - I don't know anyone who was actually able to travel to the UK to go to raves, although I heard lots about how they were really great over there. (That was like 10 years ago or so now...)

That's awesome that you went to the protest before. Yeah, the government doesn't really seem to "listen" during protests, but at least we're there trying to support what we stand for, you know? that's the very least i feel i can do when the us is being a complete retard/douche to so many people...

I think my favorite Bush quote is:

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." --George W. Bush, Greater Nashua, N.H., Chamber of Commerce, Jan. 27, 2000

LOL - it's short, sweet and makes for a totally ridiculous image.

Yeah - well the democratic party has taken over, so we'll see if we can get things sorted out over here. until then, on with the protests! :)

(geez, maybe i should start pm-ing you instead!)

Posted on 25 January 2007 @ 1:43 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.140597400000843!