New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084400 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > Swearing

Go to latest mesage in thread

Swearing

Thelaird1Thelaird1, posted over a year ago

Why do so many posts here have swearing in them?

I visited this site for help many years ago and saw no swearing. I'm not against swearing at all, but surely the moderators should edit out the swearing from questions. There are young teens on this site. Yes they must all know swear words, but surely it should not be seen as a standard of dearcupid??

Posted on 27 August 2011 @ 15:33 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

angelDliteangelDlite, posted over a year ago

thats a good point you raise thelaird. i'm a moderator, i often edit swear words out but i must admit i could be a little more strict and will endeavour to do that in the future, and to avoid using swearwords myself in my answers coz i know i sometimes do! ;) there is NO real need for bad language though, its just superfluous innit?

x

Posted on 27 August 2011 @ 15:44 (London time) - permalink

Indeed. :)

I just think that if people see swearing in the posts, it can actually encourage people to use swear words where they never really intended to in the first place.

I think dearcupid is a great site, and just worry about the credibility and reputation suffering as a result of something so needless

Posted on 27 August 2011 @ 16:2 (London time) - permalink

dirtballdirtball, posted over a year ago

Swearing can serve a purpose at times. It should only be used on the appropriate audience though. After all, we do have kids on here, but there are posts that are far more explicit than a few curse words in my opinion. Detailed sexual instructions can be found with a few clicks...

I curse, but I do so to emphasize a point I'm making, and it's never done without fore thought. I do agree that some people get excessive though. That's one drawback of internet forums. Being overly modded can be as much of a curse as it is a blessing. And editing posts in the mod area adds a lot of time to an already drawn out process...

Posted on 28 August 2011 @ 7:31 (London time) - permalink

I understand completely, I'm sure it would be very time consuming to edit the swearing, but if I was a moderator and the post contained a lot of swearing, I would reject the question. It should be made clear to all that swearing should not be tolerated from the members. It's not hard to just not swear surely. As I said, I visited this site regularly many years ago and it just didn't happen then. I swear a lot myself, but just not around my children, nor do I like other people swearing around them. But that's just me. :)

Posted on 28 August 2011 @ 11:51 (London time) - permalink

Was something done about this issue?

I haven't seen any swearing lately on here and the place seems much nicer and friendly.

Posted on 4 October 2011 @ 23:12 (London time) - permalink

The RealistThe Realist, posted over a year ago

The swearing issue has been discussed and to my knowledge it was deceided that it will be allowed if it does not over power the answer or if it does not have it's place in the answer or question.

For the most part we mods try to keep the swearing out by replacing it or omitting it. You are right that it makes the site much nicer.

Posted on 5 October 2011 @ 5:4 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.125055800002883!