New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084400 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > Why can't you refer to self harm or suicide?

Go to latest mesage in thread

Why can't you refer to self harm or suicide?

carebare, posted over a year ago

11) No submissions will be accepted that contain references to suicide or self harm. If you are experiencing these thoughts, we advise you to call your local suicide crisis hotline or see your family doctor and ask for professional help.

I don't understand the purpose of this guideline. I can't even MENTION it, even as a thing of the past?

I understand that this isn't a place to get help about those things, but to not even be able to mention it in relation to something else is ridiculous. Especially because a lot more deranged and bizzare questions are approved and posted all the time.

Posted on 19 May 2011 @ 19:29 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

Tisha-1Tisha-1, posted over a year ago

Carebare, we can't accept those submissions because if a person is feeling suicidal and gets just one answer that pushes them over the edge... It's just not the place to seek help for suicidal feelings. If suicide is mentioned in the submission, it's a cue for the moderator that there is potential for the OP to do self-harm. The moderators do their best to monitor submissions but they are human and if a very lengthy answer that seemed okay with a quick read, but essentially told the OP to 'go for it' and commit suicide, they just don't want that responsibility or liability.

The mods are under instruction by the site guy "DearCupid" to not allow any submissions of that sort through. Professional help is called for in those cases.

Sorry if it makes you uncomfortable or unhappy, but this has been decided and is enforced. Best wishes to you.

Posted on 19 May 2011 @ 20:48 (London time) - permalink

I think you misunderstood my question.

If I'm reading the guideline correctly, ANY and ALL reference to self-harm or suicide is prohibited, even if the person is not talking about themselves, or asking for help on the issue.

Don't be sorry. The one who should be is the mod who can't read something in context and not reject something because they clearly did nothing more than a keyword search of a post. I've seen how things are tagged on the site with the keyword links to related questions. A lot of the time are circumstancial.

Either way. It's not my site so it's not my call.

Just saying.

Posted on 19 May 2011 @ 21:14 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

May it be added that all the moderators on this site are VOLUNTEERS, that take the time and make the effort to approve hundreds of questions and answers everyday. It's only natural that human error will occur from time to time. That tagging you see is automatic tagging.

Suicide and self-harm are extremely urgent and serious matters. Someone seeking help for a loved one might be mislead or given inappropriate information; even by those with the best of intentions. Thus these issues need to be handled by trained and experienced professionals. Depending on the severity and details, mention of prior suicide/self-harm could also be harmful to vulnerable readers.

It's simply a topic that does not belong on this site.

Posted on 22 May 2011 @ 19:22 (London time) - permalink

It doesn't really make a difference whether its VOLUNTEER staff or paid staff. It's nice and all for them to do it, but they did VOLUNTEER to do it so I think I have every right to point out when someone(whomever that may be) isn't doing their due dilligence but that's just my opinion.

Trust me, I get that this kind of censorship is all about liabilities.

But like I said earlier... not my site, so not my call.

Posted on 24 May 2011 @ 18:39 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.124996800004737!