New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084400 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > New and need help

Go to latest mesage in thread

New and need help

, posted over a year ago

HI

Im new to this site and was hoping someone could tell me where I can describe myself on my column as I dont seem to have a space to do that.

Also I would like to know how the answers are rated as some of myne dont get on.

Posted on 5 November 2009 @ 16:18 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

Tisha-1Tisha-1, posted over a year ago

Hi, go to this page when you're logged in: http://www.dearcupid.org/private/account and scroll down about halfway, there's a text box there for you to fill in called "Information about you". You can't miss it.

Answers are moderated by volunteer mods who read over the answers and determine if they are suitable for posting. Not every answer gets on, there are guidelines that are followed.

Here are some reasons for rejecting answers

Offensive to the question asker

Not helpful

Stupid one-line comments

Could cause question asker anguish

Are in kiddie/txt speak e.g. "hello m8 chattin watz up......" or ALL IN CAPS

In addition, if the answer is insulting other aunts or the poster, it will not get through. I posted a little rant a while ago on a thread that had gone nuclear. The text follows below. I'm not suggesting that your answers are any of these things, this is just informational for others who might read this:

----------

Personal attacks with insulting, hurtful language, without any advice whatsoever other than inappropriate comments, are not tolerated here. A couple of these answers just skirt that line by offering some perspective from another point of view, but aren't so hate-filled that they can't be published, have made it through.

The point of DearCupid is to offer advice, not insults, to the people who post here. If you cannot offer advice, if you can only manage insults, then do not post on a question. I'm sorry, I know some of our aunts have been deeply hurt by other's actions and are working through some of their pain by trying to advise others, but when an answer reaches a personal attack level, it is not permitted.

So if you're wondering why an answer is not getting through, take a look at what you wrote. Is it helpful to the poster? Does it offer advice? Yes? Great. Is it insulting to the poster or other aunts? Is it designed to be hurtful or cause mental anguish? Yes? Not good. It shouldn't get through. The middle area, that murky one, is where the mods have to decide if the answer has enough "help" in it that it overrides any slightly questionable language. It's not black or white all the time.

Vilifying, threatening, or otherwise being insulting and hateful to the question asker and other aunts will get answers pulled, if they get through in the first place.

-------

Hope this helps!

Posted on 5 November 2009 @ 17:37 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Thanks for the advice on answers.

I dont have the text box you mentioned (ive seen it on other peoples profiles though so i know what you mean). I do have a box that offers to link to a blog. I dont have a blog.

Posted on 5 November 2009 @ 18:0 (London time) - permalink

Add some info about "you" to be displayed on your agony aunt column!

Some ideas of what to write:

What qualifies you to help people?

Where do you live?

What makes you tick?

What's your relationship status?

Information about you:

[..............]

Your website URL (only if you have one)

[..............]

--------------

Does your screen have those lines on it? Those [.........] are my feeble attempt to show a text box.

Posted on 5 November 2009 @ 18:28 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Got it thanks Tisha

Posted on 5 November 2009 @ 18:32 (London time) - permalink

You are welcome! I look forward to reading your new profile.

Posted on 5 November 2009 @ 18:33 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Welcome aboard thenotsogreat!!!!! Its a great site and I love it. Can we call you tnsg or something for short? you can call me mal MArriedLady. I have a real name but would rather not post it here....and half the people that i know call me mom but the good Lord only knows that i need a break while on here. hehehehe

Posted on 5 November 2009 @ 20:6 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Hi mal thanks for the welcome. Yes you can call me that if you all like. My real name is on my profile though.

Posted on 8 November 2009 @ 14:2 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.140562499989755!