New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244988 questions, 1084407 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Site Feedback > Moderator please help

Go to latest mesage in thread

Moderator please help

, posted over a year ago

Hi any of the moderators,

Please have a look at this question.Its so full of text speak.I am born and brought up in India.am still not able to understand clearly what the guy is really trying to say.

http://www.dearcupid.org/question/my-girlfriends-family-is-marrying-her-off-to.html

Posted on 25 October 2008 @ 15:46 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

, posted over a year ago

Bugs - I brought this subject up on the moderators forum, under the heading of 'Bloody Text Speak', and is exactly the sort of garbage that I reject if it comes my way. I'm doing my best to get all the moderators 'singing from the same song sheet', but obviously without 100% success.

Oblivia - are you reading this?

I'm pleased that you see things the same way Bugs, and maybe a few more moderators will now take note of your comments. Thanks for bringing this up on the public forum.

Posted on 25 October 2008 @ 15:58 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I hope I didn't offend or hurt anyone.It was not my intention.thanks for the reply Uncle.

Regards,

Bugs

Posted on 25 October 2008 @ 16:11 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Yup, should have been dumped !

Posted on 1 November 2008 @ 2:9 (London time) - permalink

ObliviaOblivia, posted over a year ago

Hi, I just saw this. I agree that questions that are totally incomprehensive should be rejected, and I do reject questions that i can't make any sense whatsoever out of. In this case I did make sense out of it and so seemed some others who posted their advice. I thought it was an adequate problem. I did consider editing, but then it might have been strange when he posts his update. Also there are very many people on here from many different countries and not all of us have english as a first language and in this case I made the judgement that he might not be too good at english but still deserved some good advise on his problem, which he got. :)

Well, I guess we all have to make our decisions while at it and in this case my decision didn't correspond to what you would have done. In some cases it is the other way around. In any case I always trust your judgement in moderating.

Thanks for feedback though, I know too many badly formulated questions will bring down quality and I will be considering this every time I come across any of them when moderating.

Wish you all a good weekend! :)

Posted on 29 November 2008 @ 16:42 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Oblivia I saw it from an Indian's view point and many of the things didn't make sense.I had quoted it in my answer as well.But you are right.English is not our first language.He had used common text speak that we use in our country.

I never understood the situation of the question really.Maybe it was just me.

Posted on 29 November 2008 @ 16:51 (London time) - permalink

Haha, yes Bugs, it was ONLY YOU who couldn't get it!! Why??? ;))

No, of course not. And I know too many questions written like that shouldn't get through and sometimes it is really hard. I don't want to just reject something automatically only because it is badly written, after all they did put some effort into it. (even though sometimes it seems like not much ;)) I guess sometimes I just feel like giving them some mercy if I can make some sense out of it and if I believe it could be of help for anybody to read it and to read the answers :).

It is good to know what you think about it though. And I will definitely start thinking of giving you some mercy too! :)

C u l8ter, m8! ;)

Posted on 29 November 2008 @ 17:8 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Hi Oblivia,

The reason I didn't understand the situation is because I am an Indian.Situations like this are so common.The family doesn't accept the guy because of caste,creed,status and what not rubbish.

The difference is that in almost all the situations that I know,the guy wanted to marry the girl and take her away from such abusive parents.When he is in love the Indian guy fancies himself as Prithviraj who comes on a white horse and sweeps his Samyukta away.(Its a real life ancient love story).

I know of more than 10000 people who have had register marriages.Its something similar to your court marriages.

At times the parents of the guy who is in love demand dowry as well.So the guy feels torn between his parents.In the end he just lets the girl go.

The one thing that really stumped me was this fact."I cannot marry her in 2-3 years or maybe life time".Now does that make any sense to anyone who reads it.

He is here asking a solution how to stop the marriage.He is not willing to marry her either.Then why the heck is he here.

In Indian society if the marriage stops ,the girl will never again find a guy to marry her.If he was trying to stop the marriage, at least he should be willing to marry her right?If he was not,he should let the girl get married to the guy of her parent's choice.

That is a very common scenario as well.The girl marries the chosen guy,falls in love with him and has a passel of kids.plain forgets the guy she was in love with.

There are some things that didn't strike true.with all the z's over the place may be I half fell asleep reading it.

you don't have to show me mercy.My English might be bad.But I think people do understand me.

Posted on 30 November 2008 @ 6:0 (London time) - permalink

Hi Bugs! When I said showing you mercy I meant spare you from having to read questions that are in textspeak by not let them through! Your English is absolutely perfect! At least that is what I think as a non-native speaker myself!

I understand it was more to the question that bothered you than the text language and what you write here is very interesting. And your opinion is probably just what he had to hear. I hope he followed your advice if it means it will be better for them both.

I think you always give very good advice, Bugs, and this one was no exception to that!

:)

Posted on 30 November 2008 @ 8:56 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Ha!I did tell you.My English is far from perfect.Ha Ha.Apologies for misunderstanding you.I am sure we can over come all these barriers in DearCupid with love and understanding.(Hugs).

Now since you are so interested,here's the link.

http://living.oneindia.in/valentines-day/valentines-2007/great-love/prithiviraj-and-samyukta.html

This is the link that is almost close to the truth.There is one more change here as well.Prithviraj didn't hide behind the statue.He paraded himself as a statue and Samyukta garlanded him instead of the statue.

The tragic end is that Samyukta committed Sati(burnt herself in the fire as is popularly told) to save herself from Ghori who was probably salivating after defeating Prithviraj.

Aren't all famous love stories tragic?Sigh.

Posted on 30 November 2008 @ 10:3 (London time) - permalink

Oh, this is such a beautiful and tragic story! Perfect on this cloudy Sunday! Thanks! :)

Posted on 30 November 2008 @ 11:37 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.125002100001439!