New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084399 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Cupid's Lounge > Atheism

Go to latest mesage in thread

Atheism

babewithbrainsbabewithbrains, posted over a year ago

Anyone here believe in God, any theories?

Posted on 22 December 2007 @ 20:19 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

zaf, posted over a year ago

i believe there is a GOD. ONLY ONE GOD. there is no such thing as theories as the FACTS are all around us. Even Albert Einstein when making scientific discoveries in the universe said that the universe and galaxys are so amazing that there has to be a creator behind it.

Life is a test - a preparation for the next life. what is the point of being alive and then die and not being resurrected for the afterlife. LIFE WOULD THEN HAVE NO MEANING.

Posted on 26 December 2007 @ 18:20 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Please don't misquote Einstein. When he referred to the word God he certainly did not mean a creator in the sense of a God within a theist belief system. Creationists love to claim Einstein as one of their own, when in fact there is more than enough evidence to argue the contrary.

Einstein actually had this to say in response to your misquoting:

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

- Einstein

About the nature of the world; it is rather arrogant to assume that just because you as an individual perceive the world in a way that shows you facts for the existence of God that this so-called evidence is in anyway conclusive and demonstrable through the scientific method.

Are these facts objectively available for the rest of us to examine? Or are they more of a "hunch" or "gut feeling" - it sounds pretty weak to expect the rest of us to have to go along with a bunch of people who have a gut feeling about something.

It is more likely, I would argue, that it is common for a person, when confronted with ignorance for how something operates or when something has an attribute of existence to prescribe it as having been designed by a God, or operated by witchcraft, or be the product of a miracle, etc, etc. Surely being in the 21th century we have gone beyond such primitive custom and habit and instead owe it to ourselves enquire through using a scientific method to find out an answer that is objectively verifiable for everyone?

It is also quite a leap to go from inferring that life has a meaning to concluding that therefore that meaning must be a God. Why must life have a meaning and why, if there is a meaning, must that meaning be in the form or a theist God?

Posted on 29 December 2007 @ 0:26 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.140596299999743!