New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244988 questions, 1084410 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Cupid's Lounge > Christmas Spirit

Go to latest mesage in thread

Christmas Spirit

, posted over a year ago

We have snow and I love it. I know it's early, but what the heck.. today, I am decorating my house in christmas finery and it's looking splendid. What a great feeling to get this holiday spirit. Christmas is truely my favorite time of year..what are you all doing for christmas? What does it mean to you?

Posted on 18 November 2007 @ 16:27 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

, posted over a year ago

Wow Irish, SNOW! We never get it where we live. In the Midlands of Great Britain, it is just too warm. I used to live in the North East of GB and years ago we often had loads of snow and it was great and festive. Even had snow on Christmas Day.

We are going to decorate the house in the second week of December, the cat usually wreck the tree anyway, part of the Christmas spirit! haha.

On Christmas Day we are staying at home with some family coming over. On Boxing Day My daughter and her husband and their little baby, ella, are coming during the day. We usually go to my eldest sons on Christmas eve to see him, his wife and little son, Ben, but this year i am working so i dont know what the plans are so far.

Christmas means lots of love and families being together. I know it doesnt always work out that way for others, but we do it that way.

What are you up to for Christmas?

Take care

Waterloo Sunset.

xx

Posted on 18 November 2007 @ 16:56 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Yes, Waterloo, isn't christmas a magical time of year. I love the holidays. How truely wonderful for you to have such a bounty of family and grandbabies! Oh how you must enjoy the holiday season. Bless you and your family, dear.

Christmas is hectic, it can be a crazy time. But even all that frenzy of last minute shopping, baking cookies, squares, pies and decorating all eases when I catch the scent of fresh evergreen pine, cinnamon or hear a Christmas song. When I was a little girl, our holiday season usually started when us kids and Dad, literally walked out, behind our house, beyond our property and into a forest of trees. We all were bundled up warm and there we were all tromping through the woods to cut the perfect tree. We'd take it home and that night, my Mom set out all her xmas baking and homemade chocolates, and as a family, we'd decorate that special tree. All of our little homemade christmas ornament crafts were put on the best branches. Mom insisted on it.

Christmas day was spent outdoors, sledding, skating, catching snowflakes on our tongues and making angels in the fresh powder. And if it was a milder day, we could even build a snowman or two. By Christmas night we were tired and hungry. Mom would have a turkey, stuffing mashed potatoes and cranberry with Mincemeat pie. What a feast. I didn't want to let go of the wonder of the Christmas season. As a child, I wished every day could be Christmas.

Even now, as I come up to my 52nd year, I still think Christmas is one of the most wonderful times for me. I have many pleasant memories of family..my own children. I remember one christmas, when my youngest child (then 4) made reindeer food, in pre-school. He insisted we had to put this food out in our backyard, for Santa's reindeer on Christmas eve. So just before he went to bed on christmas eve, we bundled him up and went outdoors where he sprinkled this 'reindeer food' (sprinkles, dry oatmeal, nuts and grains) all over the backyard. As I tucked him into bed, he said the most startling thing to me..he said, "I sure hope the reindeer like their food. I can't wait to go out there in the morning and see their little footprints in the snow" My eyes widened, and with a brave face and a weak smile, I assured him that there would be footprints. But how on earth do you make little 'tiny' reindeer footprints in the snow? After I made sure he was asleep, my husband and I grabbed the flashlight and ran out to the shed, to find something to make these dang 'hoof' prints! Do you know what I found?! An old wooden axe handle. The top end is a perfect shape of a tiny hoof. (And to think, I wanted to junk it the summer, before.) So there was my husband and I, in the moonlit backyard, late christmas eve..walking gingerly around the back yard, making these tiny, little hoofprints in the snow. We even made sure to scoop some of the reindeer food off the snow. A very convincing scene. And it worked..our little imaginative boy was thoroughly convinced that Santa's reindeer did indeed, have a grand feast in our backyard, the next morning when he peeked outdoors. It truely made his christmas day and it kept him believing in the magic of christmas. I think we should all take time to stop, think and give blessing for the wonderment of family, friends and the love we have this time of year. What does christmas means to you? We would all would love to hear your stories, opinions and thoughts. Please Share.

Posted on 18 November 2007 @ 20:1 (London time) - permalink

Jamer70Jamer70, posted over a year ago

wow irish you do have true xmas sprit.

We havent had snow in ages, and i doubt we will here in London. Way too hot here.

Anyway last time it snowed i relised no matter how young i am in real life, im truely an old manand a Londoner, as when i saw the snow the first thought in my head was "i better leave early, traffic will be bad" That day i relised inside im a 90 year old man.

Boy i havent deiced what im gonna do for xmas but its still early we start around the 1st week of december.

Have fun Irish!

Posted on 18 November 2007 @ 23:55 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Hi Irish.

Wow what a fantastic story!! BUT You will not believe this, it snowed here last night. My husband and i went out for a walk in it about 9.30pm cos we just couldnt believe it, especially after you had said about getting snow! I looked so lovely, we had about 2-3 inches but by the time we came out of the pub, yes it was on our way, it had turned to rain. This morning it is all gone, bah!

When my eldest kids were little (now they have kids of their own), they used to get bathed soon on Christmas Eve hang their stockings up and go to bed soon. One year i had some sleigh bells and wandered across the landing jangling them and i dropped a piece of cotton wool on the floor. I told them that the cotton wool must of come from Santas beard. My daughter grabbed it and kept it. She truly thought that he had been right up to her bed. The look on her little face can never be forgotten.

Have a brilliant Christmas and holiday season Irish!

Take Care

Waterloo sunset

xx

Posted on 19 November 2007 @ 9:34 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Thank you, Waterloo! What a great idea about the sleigh bells and Santa 'beard'. I did the same thing with bells outside my son's window one time, when he wouldn't go to sleep. He has never forgotten that! lol Aren't we ingenious and creative. The crazy things we do to keep therm believing. But oh, was it fun! I loved your memorable story.

I plan on having a Merry Christman! A bit o' eggnog with a touch of rum, will doit for me. How about you? lol...Merry Christmas, dear and have fun with those grandbabies of yours.

Posted on 19 November 2007 @ 16:39 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Hi Jamer,

What a delight reading your posting. I can well-imagine that christmas in 'jolly old London' is amazing, even without the snow! London would be a wonderful place to visit over the xmas holidays. What are some of the traditions that your family likes to do, on the holidays? eg: I always make a huge pot of 'hot spicey chili and homemade potato buns' for xmas eve, after which we have egg nog. My family love it. As for snow and traffic..you are so right..it's wise to be caution out there. Here in Canada, the first day of snowfall always racks up a ton of fender benders in and around our city. People forget to sloooow down! Holiday blessings and Merry Christmas, Jamer.

Posted on 19 November 2007 @ 18:41 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I am envious that you have snow. It's still brown where I am at. *mope* I have so many plans on what to do when the snow arrives.

Christmas spirit- I love the feel at night in the evenings. There seems to still be present at this time of year, a oneness, some unified purpose to celebrate this time of year as counting the various blessing in our lives and spending time with family and friends.

I adore seeing the many houses with lights. So beautiful.

Apple cider, hot cocoa, children's laughter, love, hugs, good will. The Smorg my Mother lays out for Christmas Eve and the open house she has to neighbours, church friends, old friends, family.

The many stories. The recap of the year. The hopes of the year to come.

This time of year is magical to me still.

Posted on 20 November 2007 @ 1:12 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Fade, do they still have that "Candy Cane Lane", in your neck of the woods? I remember one year, going and seeing that. My children loved the light display. And oh, doesn't apple cider taste awesome with cinnamon sticks. Sounds like you experience so much happiness and goodwill at christmas, Fade. Merry Christmas to you and best wishes to all your family, this holiday.

Posted on 20 November 2007 @ 18:40 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Well with the power bills being outrageous, it's not as grand as it used to be. We finally have our 1 CM of SNOW!

We now do the go down to the park to see sponsored lighted themes-ma-jiggies.

I missed getting snugged up and taking the hour or so walk to gaze at all the beautiful lit up homes.

Posted on 22 November 2007 @ 4:48 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

And a Season's Greetings to Everyone on Dear Cupid...and Merry Well Wishes for you and your loved one this Year Irish. *toasty hugs*

Posted on 22 November 2007 @ 4:49 (London time) - permalink

Jamer70Jamer70, posted over a year ago

Thanks Irish.

Yes London can be a nice place to vitis. Especially the City Centre, all the shops put up there lights and i must admit its can be beautiful at night, when its dark.

In my family our traditions are that we pratically ake hot soup every night, as its the only way to keep warm in the chilly nights and days. Also we bring down our blankets to the living room, put on the fire place and keep warm and watch a movie. I guess keeping warm is our tradition. Also on Xmas eve we get to open a present each. We have to be surprised by them, but i think theres a pattern considering every year they and pajamas. Also while putting up the tree, we each get a quater of the tree to decorate the way we want, but in the end my sister and mum change it to the way they want it.

Merry xmas Irish and all

Posted on 22 November 2007 @ 12:14 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Hi Jamer, Probably of all the traditions I have heard, I really found yours heartwarming.. Especially the one where you said "keeping warm is our tradition" Nothing like cuddling close to people you care about, next to a fire..to do just that. About the PJ's..for the past 28 years, I have given my kid's flannel PJ's every christmas..opened on christmas eve, too. It's gotta be a MOM-thing....lol. Take care

Posted on 22 November 2007 @ 18:5 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.124975499998982!