New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084399 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Cupid's Lounge > Is it just me...?

Go to latest mesage in thread

Is it just me...?

, posted over a year ago

Is it just me or am I just way behind the times here. Maybe I'm cyber~challenged.

Does anyone actually date in real life anymore? Does anyone meet someone in the grocery store or on the job and actually date...as in go out and have a meal and do something fun?

Im not at all against meeting someone and getting to know them online, but gee whiz! What is with all of this "I met a girl online 2 months ago and now we are getting married...do you think she is cheating and what should we do on our first date?"

Does anyone else find this a little creepy? Maybe creepy isnt the right word but its just odd to me.

Posted on 7 September 2010 @ 18:15 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

eyeswideopeneyeswideopen, posted over a year ago

I'm with you sista...how can you claim to dearly love someone you've never even laid your eyes on (except a stupid web cam)let alone laid a finger on??? That's cuckoo.

Posted on 7 September 2010 @ 20:43 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Mal and Eyes...I agree. Anyone I have known who tried online dating, had very little success. They ended up deleting their online profile and opted to date the old-fashioned way. I read a funny quip from a comedian, who had this funny opinion of dating online.

"It said if you're not involved in one of these online dating services, you're just gonna get left behind socially. I'm not afraid to try something new, I'm not, so I signed up. Changed my life. I went from feeling pretty good about myself to feeling like a leper, alone in a room typing."

hehehe

Posted on 7 September 2010 @ 21:25 (London time) - permalink

misfitschik66misfitschik66, posted over a year ago

my met the first person i ever loved online and we lived together for 3 and a half years

i met my fiance actually at work and we were friends for 4 months till we decided we wanted to take things further.. i guess it all depends on what your doing and if your looking or not

when i met my last boyfriend online i WAS looking for someone but when i met my fiance i was actually with my last boyfriend so i wasn't looking at all

Posted on 7 September 2010 @ 22:25 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

...but you actually met him at some point and dated...lived together. Thats my point, i have a friend who met her hubby online. They dated, married and lived happily ever after. The problem i have is when 4 years down the road they are getting married next month and they've only seen each other a few times. They live in different places or countrys.

Or they meet online and in 2 months are engaged having never even touched one another....

Posted on 8 September 2010 @ 1:12 (London time) - permalink

LOL the guy i met online i knew for a month he showed up at my door and he had his clothes with him and didn't leave..a week later he proposed

Posted on 8 September 2010 @ 1:16 (London time) - permalink

but yes i see your point =) that is a little crazy!

Posted on 8 September 2010 @ 1:19 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

A weird thing I've heard on here is "There's this guy I like at work. How do I ask him for his text number or email address so I can ask him out?" Why wouldn't you just talk to him and ask him out face to face?

A bit off topic, but there's something I've always found strange about New Zealand. I'm not a native, and I've noticed that the most common way for people to get together is to be friends first. I don't think people actually date here at all, whether online first or not. The few times I've just come out and asked someone out they've looked at me like I'm some sort of alien. And then there's the oft told tale (it seems this has happened to about half the guys I've spoken to) of how a guy has asked a girl out, she's agreed, and when she arrives at the "date" she's brought her boyfriend with her! They genuinely don't understand why the guy was asking them out, and they thought he just wanted to be friends. Weird eh? That or they're just evil and do it for a laugh.

I've tried the online dating thing. I'm trying it now after a few years, and my opinion of it is as low as everyone elses. If I met women through other means, like if I was part of a social circle and new people were introduced to me, I'd much rather do it that way.

Posted on 8 September 2010 @ 1:57 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

So you have this circle of friends and eventually they just pair off? How do you get to be one of the friends?

I think i would be crap at the dating game, i dont seem to get it. I read friendship where there isnt, and find friendship where i have not suspected it to be...i think i would fall in love with some jerk while the good guy got away.

hahaha, maybe not, I did pretty good the first time around.

Dating online is not a bad thing...its a good way to meet people...I just dont understand it long term...and no RL contact.

Posted on 8 September 2010 @ 2:27 (London time) - permalink

my first LR was probably what you should consider the "bad" guy i was young and stupid when i met my fiance i seriously never thought we would ever be together i looked at him as a friend and really nothing more

oh boy was i wrong because of the friendship we had before we were together has made our relationship more meaningful

internet dating can be tough because you have no interaction besides seeing each other on webcam or talking to each other on the phone which the novelty of that all is will only last so long and the urge and longing to be together will either get in the way or end the relationship if nothing is done about it

for the first 10 months after i started seeing my fiance now we were in a LDR and it was excruciating to the point i could not take it any longer i HAD to be with him and if he hadn't of made the decision to move in with me we probably would have broken..and we were only an hour apart!!

can you imagine what it would be like to date someone in a totally different country?!! my lord!!

Posted on 8 September 2010 @ 2:37 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.515610700000252!