New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084399 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Cupid's Lounge > When questions doing give you enough info?

Go to latest mesage in thread

When questions doing give you enough info?

, posted over a year ago

I've noticed that on occaision someone asks a question on the site, people will give their answers and then the OP will follow up with additional information (that they initially left out) that puts a completely different spin on the situation.

Why do they do this? Sometimes they leave something quite significant out. Do you think they ask their question expecting a certain response, and if they don't get it they just make something up to try and prove everyone wrong?

Posted on 1 February 2010 @ 22:59 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

Tisha-1Tisha-1, posted over a year ago

Good question; I think the page where you ask the actual question encourages brevity. However, as you point out, sometimes important information is omitted from the post. I guess the rationale for doing so would be as individual as the poster. Some people like to dole out information in small installments; others lay everything out in exhaustive questions. My default position is that the poster was just trying to keep the question short. That is, as long as they provide the new information in a way that is not a thump on the head to the aunts who have already responded. Then, maybe your thought that they are trying to prove people wrong may have some validity.

Aren't humans so exasperating? But everyone deserves good advice, even the irritating, the idiotic and the forgetful, so do your best to remail civil. :D

If you find yourself becoming angry or emotional in your replies, then walk away from the thread. And do not insult the poster or other aunts; that's just not tolerated here. A stray one may slip through but our mods here are working very hard to keep that sort of offensive post off the site.

Posted on 1 February 2010 @ 23:15 (London time) - permalink

curious0hotcurious0hot, posted over a year ago

"Do you think they ask their question expecting a certain response, and if they don't get it they just make something up to try and prove everyone wrong?"

That could be it, or some people just may not know what to clarify until they get some feedback...

Posted on 1 February 2010 @ 23:21 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

It's no different than writing a report for your job. You do a test and write what you think is a detailed and comprehensive report and give it to people to review and they come back with a lot of questions and you have to add a bunch of explanations to the report. I was always told that my reports were excellent, but I always had to add more detail before we published them. My first question on DC was the same. I thought it was all encompassing, but some people misunderstood what I said or assumed things that I didn't say at all and I had to clarify.

Posted on 2 February 2010 @ 1:34 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Is it considered rude to tell a poster that you think he not near as stupid as the rest of the people here think he is?

Posted on 2 February 2010 @ 3:3 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

roflmbo..........ummmm what did you have in mind or should i not ask? mal

Posted on 2 February 2010 @ 4:58 (London time) - permalink

visionevisione, posted over a year ago

Pretty much what troubledtoomuch said, sometimes aunts will bring up things that an asker didn't even think about. In some cases it helps people answer more thoroughly, and in other cases people do not like the direction that their answers are going in - so they try to change it... everyone has different intentions.

I'm glad some people even follow up at all, it seems like most do not (I wonder if they even read what advice was given to them?).

Posted on 2 February 2010 @ 16:26 (London time) - permalink

curious0hotcurious0hot, posted over a year ago

(I wonder if they even read what advice was given to them?).

I think they really do. I know I read all my replies more than once, but only did a follow up, because of the huge font asking you to on the "Your questions" page, lol.

Posted on 2 February 2010 @ 18:37 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.140620799997123!