New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084399 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Cupid's Lounge > Kids and outdoors

Go to latest mesage in thread

Kids and outdoors

FindmejustOne, posted over a year ago

This is a message for those on this board who have kids. I had read a article published by the University of Michigan that stated kids today spend 50% less time outdoors than they did 20 years ago. Having read this early this summer I made a distinct effort to keep my kids outdoors for it's entirety.

I also work for a marketing company that recently started a campaign with the Ad Council and The U.S. Forest Service designed to get kids into nature.

Activities outdoors are great ways to keep kids healthy and outside rather than locked in front of the TV. The National Forest Service is embarking on a series of PSA's as well as a website entitled "Where the Other You Lives" which is trying to get kids outdoors enjoying nature. The link for their site is here: http://youcastcorp.com/discovertheforestlink

Check out their "Where the Other You Lives" contest here the chance to win a free North Face Gift card here as well:http://youcastcorp.com/r/discovertheforestsweeps

What do you guys do to keep your kids experiencing nature?

Posted on 20 October 2009 @ 17:8 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

, posted over a year ago

My kids have long fled the coop, but I took them out fishing when they were younger and either taught them myself or arranged lessons for them to go SCUBA diving - including grandchildren - and let them marvel at the underwater world. A total of four of them are now qualified divers.

I would query the 50% figure - I'd say it was more like 90% these days!

Posted on 20 October 2009 @ 17:21 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

we take them fishing, dad take them hunting...they have a couple of horses and they ride...we picnic, and camp and swim. They explore, ride bicycles, skate, and we play ball in the back yard...most important and unbelievable we have no television, and limit the computer. Good gried i didnt realize that we did all of this until i started writing this. We have been struggling financially and i have been focusing on the things that other kids have that mine do not...i feel much better... ;)

Posted on 20 October 2009 @ 18:46 (London time) - permalink

birdynumnumsbirdynumnums, posted over a year ago

They have horses? That's something most kids would DREAM of! Lucky them! Seriously! I couldn't afford to pay for lessons for horses in the suburbs, even though my daughter, like most young girls, was horse mad.

It sounds like you are giving them a great life, Hun. You are giving them the things that money can't buy, lots of love and attention. Time is the only thing that they really crave, time with YOU. Those other things fill up a lot of the time that most kids should be spending with an actual adult, actually engaging each other in conversation, teaching and learning things together, experiencing things together, getting to know each other better and actually being a family.

That's what your child will remember.

And from where I live right now, most kids don't even walk to school anymore, let alone play outside, from fear of child abduction in the suburbs - to gang violence in the city.

And I think that the fact that Dad took them hunting is fantastic. Too many kids think that meat comes from a supermarket wrapped in plastic. It isn't a bad thing to let them experience the cycle of life and learn how to hunt humanely. (The last dinner party that I went to, the vegan couple told us all that we were all dinosaurs and that meat was the way of the future. I was wondering why we all had Cutting teeth instead of teeth like horse and camels. And, Funnily enough, he had just left a regular position in the umbrella organization in order to head a "Special Project". Talking about dinosaurs, that's the kiss of death in a career if the project turns out to be a dud.) (But I digress...) (Hey, I already had a Martini...)

I think that every parent wants to give their children everything that they didn't have growing up, and we confuse and judge our own ability to provide alongside of our parenting and come up lacking because we feel guilty - but that's not parenting!!!

In the end, All kids really need is you.

Posted on 22 October 2009 @ 1:51 (London time) - permalink

*swap meat for veggies*

Posted on 22 October 2009 @ 1:52 (London time) - permalink

*in the text, not in the context*

Tarbender?

Posted on 22 October 2009 @ 1:54 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

why thank you birdienumnums. I live in the best place in the world to raise kids. I forgot the one of the best things. We grill out and make homemade ice cream in the summer. ;) in the fall we have chili, roast weiners for hotdogs and marshmallows over a fire...winter we play board games and go sledding. Popcorn and hot chocolate...spring we walk, fly kites, and dance in the rain. Yes, i love being a mother. Bring your kiddos for a visit ;D we'll put them on a horse. ;)

Posted on 22 October 2009 @ 4:36 (London time) - permalink

Thanks, Hun!

My "little ones" are themselves ready to have kiddos - 27 and 24...

We have a running joke in the family...

"Buy me a pony?"!!!

So they would love to visit and surely love your lifestyle!!!

Posted on 28 October 2009 @ 3:47 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

lol! My oldest two are 26 and 24, and long gone and married...Well... the horses are big enough for adults. My older two sons still at home are 16 and 18. The 18 year old is 5'10 and 170, and the 16 year old is 6' and 165. Both have passed me AND their dad. Lol. They gave the grandkiddos ages 1 and 3 a ride on their last visit so i guess it is fun at any age.

Posted on 28 October 2009 @ 8:40 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.140586800000165!