New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084399 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Engaged > Engagement probelms

Go to latest mesage in thread

Engagement probelms

sexisexi, posted over a year ago

Hi

My bf and i are deciding to get engaged. Our parents donot soeak so we decided that we would have it small with a pastor to be the mediator. The problem is that my family has just found out about the engagment and are upset for not being invited. The reason i aint inviting them is because;

(1) Due to ny financial situation

(2) i thought if there were less people there may be less tension with the families.

What do you guys thik i should do: Call off the engagement or should i invite everyone and break my budget or should i just go with it as planned.

Thanks for your advice

Posted on 8 July 2008 @ 14:37 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

Tisha-1Tisha-1, posted over a year ago

Tricky question. I would err on the side of trying to keep good relationships with all sides of the family. That means that I would invite my parents (I can't actually imagine NOT having included them) as well. I would try to have a small party, and keep the same amount of food/beverage service, just expect it to be a shorter party...

Traditionally, the bride's family helps with the costs of the wedding. I can see that this isn't happening here, so let that go.

I would also ask that the parents sit down with the pastor who is officiating, all of you together, to discuss how things will go at the ceremony and afterwards. This should be mandatory for anyone who has a problem with the wedding going forward.

It sounds like Romeo and Juliet to me, why not buy a copy of this Shakespearean play and give them to each set of parents, with a note saying something like, "I hope that history doesn't repeat itself." Or something along those lines.

I'd worry that your parents will feel that you've chosen his over your own family....but then I do not know all the history that has gone into this situation. Your parents not speaking and all, that is a big thing.

The tension will only be magnified by a wedding, so I really think that the pastor needs to lay out the ground rules for good behavior at your wedding.

Hope this helps, and Sexi, you know well that you can post this on the main site and get many more responses...

Oh, and congratulations on your engagement.

Posted on 10 July 2008 @ 20:26 (London time) - permalink

MichelleB, posted over a year ago

I think just invite the close family so your budget does not go over.

Posted on 17 October 2008 @ 21:28 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.124968699994497!