New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244985 questions, 1084399 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Cupid's Lounge > how does this all work?

Go to latest mesage in thread

how does this all work?

, posted over a year ago

ok im a lot confused...all this talk of aa's and mods and inappropriate responses. Somebody clear this up...if you have an avatar and a name are you an aunt? And can anyone post in the forum setting, or just aunts? (as opposed to anyone can post in the main site, correct?)And does anyone else use their phone to access this site? Im wondering if the screen looks the same-it does on facebook but doesnt on bebo. The apps and skins are missing as well as any quizzes etc. Is there any thing i should know before posting? I do know that i need to click on the name of any unknown to me aunts that post a question and read the profile if there is a possibility that it is a serious post. Any tips or pointers?

Posted on 13 September 2009 @ 22:31 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

, posted over a year ago

Okay, I'll tell you what I know.

If you have a username then you're a registered aunt. Having an avatar is optional. Only registered people can post here, I think that's because it goes straight through without being approved, so if you post something nasty, then you can be easily disabled or the thread removed (such as just a while ago). I have tried DC on my phone and obviously it doesn't appear quite the same, but I think almost all the options you get here are the same as on your phone.

(If I'm wrong, someone correct me)

I don't normally check the persons profile if it's on the main questions page, only if something looks fake. However, on this forum as there is a lot of junk posted by users advertising, it is best to check their profile, especially if it a sensitive subject. If you feel that you don't have any input that may help them, then guide them to the right place (the 'Ask' link on the main page).

Posted on 13 September 2009 @ 22:46 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

um you an aunt if you respond to someone's problems... the name, the avatar are just ways of identifying yourself......

This isn't a social networking site - and its not meant to be...

If its a serious post - a very serious post - rape, unexpected pregnancy, violence, suicidal etc. -then look for the experienced aunts, flag it to them. In the meantime, give the best answer you can. Think if that person was in front of you, what you would say to them. you wont be able to answer every question, so make the ones you do count for that person.

Star.x.

Posted on 13 September 2009 @ 22:47 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

BTW I must add that posts about self harm or suicide are not let through. That is because as (most of us) aren't professionals and I think swaying their fragile state of mind will do more harm than good - we don't (uninentionally) want to make them feel any more bad about themselves, and if you think about it, if someone killed themselves and the last person to talk to them were aunts on here... a lot of trouble we and Andrew would get into!

Posted on 13 September 2009 @ 22:55 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

Well to get to you on that AA and MOD thing: AA means your answers go trhough without haveing to be approved. You can earn this by giving tasteful and helpful advice without hurting or harming the OP. You keep doing this and you'll be recommended for it eventually. If you feel its been a few months and you haven't gotten it and deserve it, then ask for from someone on this site. Either s(he) will be a mod or will kniow someone to ask!

And moderators are the people who go through every single question and answer (except AA) to make sure they're appropriate for publication.

Criteria for having answers posted is as follows:

Helpful advice

Intelligable

Not all caps or text speak

sensible advice

Not too sexually explicit

Not threatening to OP or other posters

No email addresses may be given

If you want to be a MOD, keep giving good answers and visit often and eventually, you might be asked by Andrew.

Posted on 13 September 2009 @ 23:25 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I agree with SY, and don't delete your account even if you feel like you should/want to, because then you've definately blown your chances of becoming a Mod (again) lol.

Posted on 13 September 2009 @ 23:39 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

ok, thanks to you all. Great information. I will hang in there... :) also i wasnt considering this a social networking site, only comparing it because of the way they present via mobile. Thanks again ~ml~

Posted on 14 September 2009 @ 2:36 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

ok, now i have another question :P if i ask someone to be my friend...they appear in an asked column. If they accept then they are added to a mutual friend column...but they stay in the asked column AND my friend status still shows up as 0. Sooo...how do i get friends or am i doomed to be friendless? Lol

Posted on 15 September 2009 @ 4:41 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

marriedlady, your friends will appear on your agony aunt column, on the right hand side. I checked your profile, and you do have friends. As for the 0 next to "friends", that just means that you have no pending friend requests. If it says the number 2, for example, it would mean that two people have added you as a friend, and you can reciprocate to make it mutual or ignore it. Just click on it when there is a number next to it. Hope that helps.

Posted on 15 September 2009 @ 7:24 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

I am her friend. A few days ago i accepted.. I am up there along with a few others. I wonder why they didn't appear for you?

Posted on 15 September 2009 @ 17:13 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

there once was a gal (in the lounge) who wanted to help others out, made mistakes once or twice, but got good advice, and she hopes to do much better now! :)

Posted on 15 September 2009 @ 17:59 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

SY and marriedlady,

You both show as friends on the others page, or did I miss what you are talking about.

Posted on 15 September 2009 @ 18:0 (London time) - permalink

, posted over a year ago

i was confused by the friends (0) notation in the start up area but someone explained that that is friend requests' that are pending, and not a reflection of my actual friend list. I access via phone and that has complicated the process i think, however i am not above asking for help! Lol (as you can see)

Posted on 15 September 2009 @ 18:12 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.125010099996871!