New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login244990 questions, 1084418 answers  

Dear Cupid > Forums > Couples > Im going to ruin this relationship if Im not careful...

Go to latest mesage in thread

Im going to ruin this relationship if Im not careful...

yuppylove, posted over a year ago

Hi everyone,

I need some advice regarding my current relationship, or more precisely how I can change my behaviour/outlook so that I dont ruin it.

Ive been seeing my current man, Sam since January. At first it was very casual, meeting up once perhaps twice a week for drinks, cinema, movies at his etc. I was happy with this, so was he. The past few months however have become more intense - we see each other more, are more lovey dovey with one another (although neither of us have said 'I love you') and Ive even met his two children (aged 8 and 13 - he was married some years ago) which I thought was great. I was so happy when he asked whether I wanted to meet them as he's always talking about them and it made me feel like things were getting that bit more serious.

We discuss the near future a lot, him mentioning my name in plans and he's even said how he'd like us to go away next year together. Everything is great, he's kind, funny, considerate - just a great guy and I feel truely lucky to be with him.

Heres my problem: Im insecure. Due to past relationships where Ive been so unlucky in love, having worn my heart on my sleeve and then having it trampled on has seriously damaged my overall trust in men. Ive nothing to mistrust Sam about, he has never done anything to make me stop and think that I shouldnt trust him. My main issue is trusting him to not leave me.

Our relationship has reached the point (for me anyway) where Im now petrified that he's soon to get bored and will finish with me. This is causing no end of problems - for me mainly at the moment but sooner or later it will effect him to the point where it will ruin our relationship.

Ive already got moody over this, this weekend just gone. We tend to spend every other weekend together (him staying at mine as he's staying with his parents whilst he saves some money) and we try and do things together, take a walk, go into town, get lunch, play tennis etc. Well, this weekend we spent together I kept slipping in and out of moods because of really silly reasons. What would have never bothered me 3 months ago is now causing me grief. For example, if we are walking down the street and he doesnt grab my hand to hold, I wonder why? he's more often than not taken it to hold in the past so whats changed?? This then sends a whole load of questions flowing through my brain like, whats happened? what have i done? is he going off me? will I get the dear john talk tonight? You see, how stupid is that?? I know Im doing it, thats the problem. I then proceed to get moody and withdrawn which makes him wonder whats wrong with me. I continually ask him if he's okay (he does it with me but he always has and i think he really just wants to know if I am!) but with me, Im asking him if things are okay, more specifically 'whats wrong?!'

This is beginning to worry me so much now. Ive done this probably in every relationship in the past and they've all ended prematurely - im sure because of my insecurites.

Another example: Im not working at the moment, I have a job but dont start for a short while yet. Of course Im stuck at home bored senseless and this makes my mind work overtime! Ill email him at work, he'll answer but obviously being at work and being busier than me (!) will reply with a short message and only one kiss...ill analyse this into 'theres something wrong'....what have i done? he's put 2 or more kisses in the past, why not now? he's going to end it with me....

I think you've got the general gist of where im coming from and what my problem is, please can someone help with some advice?? I know im doing it thats the problem. I dont want to ruin this as I seriously think we have a future and he is someone I could love a lot. I care so much about him and I know he wouldnt be with me unless he wanted to be but my train of thought really has to change otherwise Ill muck it all up again!

Heres hoping you can help

Yuppylove x x

Posted on 24 August 2009 @ 15:20 (London time) - permalink
(Log in to flag spam/offensive/junk messages to moderators)

REPLY TO MESSAGE or Start a new topic

csn, posted over a year ago

I know exactly what your talking about. I dont know how to fix it but i do know that you need to find a way. i do the exact same thing. Im married and it still hasnt gone away it has made things worse. We are married you would think that would make me feel secure but it doesnt. I just started talking to a therapist. it seems i am more scared than ever that he is going to leave me and i seem to do everything to push him towards it. I dont mean to, but i know im doing it. If i figure something out i will let you know.

Posted on 12 September 2009 @ 7:4 (London time) - permalink

daisydianedaisydiane, posted over a year ago

Why are you in a relationship? Do you enjoy hurting people? You don't LOVE yourself So you cannot love anyone else! Until you do,you will never enjoy a healthy or happy relationship! I don't know why people even shock me anymore!!!

Posted on 31 January 2010 @ 7:17 (London time) - permalink

American Girl, posted over a year ago

Wow, I wish I had some good advice for you. All I can tell you is you are not alone on how you handle things and the way you analyse things. I have just started blogging about my relationships because I'm in search of answers like you. If you get bored here it is: http://therelationshipdisease.blogspot.com/ Hopefully in the future I will have answers. If you beet me to it then let me know all about it!!! lol

Posted on 3 February 2010 @ 6:51 (London time) - permalink

Add a new message to this topic

0.140529900003457!