New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login239626 questions, 1059409 answers  

  DearCupid.ORG relationship advice
  Got a relationship, dating, love or sex question? Ask for help!Search
 New Questions Answers . Most Discussed Viewed . Unanswered . Followups . Forums . Top agony aunts . About Us .  Articles  . Sitemap

I'm disabled, how can I get more money when I can't work?

Tagged as: Health<< Previous question   Next question >>
Question - (20 August 2011) 10 Answers - (Newest, 24 August 2011)
A male United States age 22-25, *rMcgalliard writes:

Okay I know this is mostly a love related site but i know there are great people on here who can answer my question...

Okay im 19 and I was born disabled and since I was born disabled I've never been able to work. SSI gives me $620 a month because they pay according to work history before the disability...So heres my question. How am I suppose to live off of $620 a month? How am I suppose to move up in society? Dont get me wrong I respect anyone who works and i'd be more than happy to work if I could, but how is it fair that kuds who are disabled receive so little as though its there fault? Ive researched the hell out of this topic and called every agency I could find, no true humane answers except "sorry". Any ideas about how I could get any more money? It truely depresses me to no end that I have to be a leech to those around car, no house, no money. Any answers are good answers

View related questions: disabled, money

<-- Rate this Question

Reply to this Question


Fancy yourself as an agony aunt? Add your answer to this question!

A male reader, anonymous, writes (24 August 2011):

U can work a sertain amrount of hours to increase your ur income it's legal and the right thing to do.

<-- Rate this answer

A male reader, anonymous, writes (23 August 2011):

Hi, I support the Social Security office that administers the Ticket to Work Program. You can find out more about Ticket to Work at or by calling the Ticket to Work Help Line at 1-866-968-7842. You can also attend a free webinar on Ticket to Work on August 31st which is focused on Youth In Transition this month by registering at

Hope this helps, and good luck!

<-- Rate this answer


A female reader, So_Very_Confused United States +, writes (20 August 2011):

So_Very_Confused agony auntSSI (which btw is NOT based on your work history but is based on your NEED) has a work program... as stated "Ticket to WORK" is a great program. You should see if you can get assistance there to find a job. I work for SSA and we have so many folks who are missing body parts or are paraplegics or quadriplegics. We have Deaf and Blind people.

Sadly the advice to invest is not going to work since investments will cause your SSI and medicaid to stop.

I have a child who is 27 who gets SSI and he cannot work. His disability is mental so he goes to sheltered workshops but it's never going to be enough...

You are bright and in college... You will find something... it sounds like you just need to find the right place.

check out the program listed but also the federal government hires under Schedule A and will NOT say you are not qualified... check out for the Ticket to Work program and to look for federal jobs.

best of luck to you

<-- Rate this answer


A female reader, anonymous, writes (20 August 2011):

You need to make sure you steer your education towards a career which 1. accommodates your disability 2. Makes you great money. You need to get into very good graduate schools also.

Careers that come into mind: Lawyer (but graduate from a great school, otherwise you'll be stuck making nothing and paying a huge student debt). 2. Research (biochem, nursing, genetics, neurobiology) - research in the medical sciences pays and you can get around typing on a keyboard. 3. Teacher (medium pay)....

Connect with people in different career paths, ask them how they got where they are, talk to successful people with disabilities...find a mentor who you can seek advice from.

There are options for you, but a great education is the answer.

<-- Rate this answer


A male reader, MrMcgalliard United States +, writes (20 August 2011):

MrMcgalliard is verified as being by the original poster of the question

Thanks everyone, I should have been a bit more specific, my disability is my hands, im missing a few fingers from my left and right hand, I actually almost qualified for the Army but barely didnt...i personally dont see myself as diabled but employers do, they dont come out and say it but there always seems to be "a more qualified person" for the job. Im currently in college and I suppose im just going to get a degree and live off $620 until I can get out of college and get a decent job with my degree, but yes thanks everyone for your advice

<-- Rate this answer


A female reader, YouWish United States + , writes (20 August 2011):

YouWish agony auntFirst of all, listen to me very carefully.

You are *not* a leech.

Second, research the SSA's "Ticket to Work" program. They will look at your disability and help you get vocational training and/or employment services. Look up the Maximus corporation, which does a lot of the servicing of that program.

When they send you the packet, all you have to do is look up locally where your field office is and voila! You're up and running.

I don't know the nature of your disability, but depending on what you have, there might be foundations targeting your disability that offers aid from transportation to networks designed to help you get where you need to go. I can't be more specific because I don't know the nature of your disability.

All I can tell you may feel like you're alone, but I assure you you're not. And you're not a leech. If you're truly disabled, I'm proud our country is there to help those who need it.

<-- Rate this answer


A female reader, Aunty Susie Australia + , writes (20 August 2011):

Aunty Susie agony auntDefinitely look for on-line work. There are courses in professional writing and editing you can do on-line, which then qualify you for proof-reading & copy-writing/editing type jobs. As Kyle007 said, data entry work, and lots of freelance writing. Google is the best place to start looking for whats available. Best of luck.

<-- Rate this answer


A male reader, anonymous, writes (20 August 2011):

Well I certainly do not know the answer. I only think there should be ways of getting you into a suitable position with high priority, such as typing stuff. Your disability doesn't prevent you from typing in acceptably good English, so you're probably leg disabled or something. Since your brain is working as intended you should ask for a job you can do at home, if you're into computers there's no problem whatsoever. Over here, if you can't do most of the work offered, they try to put you into jobs you can do prior to others who can work in any field.

But I don't know how this is handled in the states. I heard there's close to no social aid in the US.

You should specify your circumstances a bit more. There are lots of disabilities. If you're typing from your bed and peeing through a catheter then you're really unable to work. If you're born without legs there's still much you can do even if you're categorized as unable to work.

Anyway, I'm just a stranger telling you to keep your head up. I'm healthy, sporty, smart and straightforward and I can't really get a decent job over here, mine pays 300 bucks, I live off welfare as well. I respect you for trying hard, mate. Don't let yourself down.

<-- Rate this answer


A male reader, Kyle007 United States +, writes (20 August 2011):

If you can type on a computer then you can work. My wife and I run a business together and she is disabled too. That is your only solution. And I say that out of the deepest sympathy and respect for your situation.

Get an able-bodied person to help you. You can sell things online and have them ship the stuff for you.

You can do data entry, make sales calls from home, and there are a LOT of things you can do. You won't be on any construction crews, but I think you get the picture. Maybe google "jobs for handicapped people".

This is the only way out for you. And you will be happier for sure. God Bless.

<-- Rate this answer


A female reader, anonymous, writes (20 August 2011):

Google for the Americans With Disabilities act, which gives information on your right to work. Employers cannot deny you a job based on discrimination because of your disability, as long as you otherwise meet qualifications for the job.

another possibility is to make money through investing your money wisely (real estate, stocks, whatever). But the key is to be wise in how you invest your money so you end up making not losing money.

Another possibility would be starting an online business of some sort.

<-- Rate this answer


Add your answer to the question "I'm disabled, how can I get more money when I can't work?"

Already have an account? Login first
Don't have an account? Register in under one minute and get your own agony aunt column - recommended!

All Content Copyright (C) DearCupid.ORG 2004-2008 - we actively monitor for copyright theft